Random high idle

thekevin

This just started a couple of weeks ago. It will randomly start idling around 1000rpm and if I shut it off and start it back up it goes right back to normal. Last night I drove it about 25 miles on some slow 2 lane backroads and about halfway through I noticed that when coming to a stop it was downshifting a little harder than normal and once stopped it was back to that 1000rpm idle. I shut it off and started back up immediately and it was fine the rest of the trip. See video below.

Video1

Today I drove about 15 miles to the grocery store at 70mph and it was fine on the way there. When I got back home I noticed it was doing the same thing it did last night. I grabbed my tablet and connected it to the Jeep and noticed that the throttle was showing 14 to 15% instead of the normal 9% at idle. I shut it off and started it back up and it was normal again like last night. See video 2 below.

Video2

I searched through the forums and online and saw that the couple of common things could be a vacuum leak and a dirty iac. I changed the 90 coming off the intake that goes to the hvac controls because it was super loose and I sprayed about half a can of throttle body cleaner into the cut out in the throttle body that goes to the iac while it was idling. Neither of these made any changes to it. What are my next steps. Is it possible the throttle position sensor is bad, should I replace that next, or should I pull the iac and really clean it up? I did have a mishap a month or so ago when I was changing my oil where I dumped nearly an entire quart of Mobil1 synthetic out of my funnel and right on top of the iac basically. I sprayed it all down with degreaser and washed it so I guess that could have caused this issue.

Make sure your IAC connection/plug is FIRMLY seated. If that does not work, make sure the wires are still pushed in the connector, you can look at the end to see if any are bent or pushed back. Happened to mine.

I went ahead and pulled the IAC off this evening and pulled it apart and cleaned it really good. It was really fouled up. I am about to take it for a spin and see if that fixed it.

Earlier you posted about spraying the IAC port in the throat of the throttle body.To clean the IAC; by spraying solely into the port you are washing dirt into the cavity which can get lodged onto the IAC disc and seat causing incorrect operation of the IAC.
When you need to clean the IAC you should remove the IAC solenoid from the throttle body, spray the throttle body port, clean the seat inside the IAC mounting cavity, clean the disc and solenoid stem for the IAC; then reassemble.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS