Random photos: Got anything interesting, unique, strange?

2CBD775D-92EF-4761-866D-28E6183FA582.jpeg

@Pizza

My dad, Mustang Island, Corpus Christi, TX, early 1970s.

RDT_20220311_0944169215134163498752216.jpg

Can anyone tell me about this Jeep? I was only about 12 so I don't remember much. He got it from a friend and it was barely a vehicle at all; just a tub with an engine and wheels. He got it to tow behind a rented RV for our annual summer vacation at the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
My dad, Mustang Island, Corpus Christi, TX, early 1970s.

View attachment 314984

Can anyone tell me about this Jeep? I was only about 12 so I don't remember much. He got it from a friend and it was barely a vehicle at all; just a tub with an engine and wheels. He got it to tow behind a rented RV for our annual summer vacation at the Gulf of Mexico.
Looks like a typical stock CJ5 with an island topper or what would not probably be called a "safari top"

So.... on my way to work in my wife's Genesis G80 and BOOM!!....the sunroof explodes. Most of the glass landed on the car behind me....

1647104310062.jpeg

Nothing hit it. Apparently the rails were slightly misaligned. My wife had told me that it wasn't closing easily the last couple times she had it opened. Genesis is replacing the entire unit and told me that it's happened before.... not only to their cars but several others out there.

So.... on my way to work in my wife's Genesis G80 and BOOM!!....the sunroof explodes. Most of the glass landed on the car behind me....

View attachment 315278

Nothing hit it. Apparently the rails were slightly misaligned. My wife had told me that it wasn't closing easily the last couple times she had it opened. Genesis is replacing the entire unit and told me that it's happened before.... not only to their cars but several others out there.
They call it spontaneous breakage, probably cheap glass from China with with nickel sulfide inclusions, very common in my industry lately. There is a way to identify it by a pattern it creates at the inclusion.

Reactions: Irun and reddvltj
They call it spontaneous breakage, probably cheap glass from China with with nickel sulfide inclusions, very common in my industry lately. There is a way to identify it by a pattern it creates at the inclusion.
Could be but the problem has been common on many "panoramic sunroof" cars going back to 2012 I've been told. When you replace a shear diaphragm with glass in a unibody car you get this over time. Genesis extended the warranty on the sun roofs to 10 years 120K. Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity and Audi have similar issues and extended warranties.

The pressure it was under was huge....as when it went off it sounded like an M-80 went off in the car.

Reactions: reddvltj
Only when its open! My old MBZ has a metal sunroof, and I've never really gotten used to the idea of having glass over my head, even though we've had a couple of cars with glass sunroofs.
I have panoramic roofs in 2 cars and I always have the shade closed, I hate the sun on my head unless I am in a convertible.

I have panoramic roofs in 2 cars and I always have the shade closed, I hate the sun on my head unless I am in a convertible.
Yea - I always kept the shade closed too. I only open the roof at nite or on very cloudy days. Not much on convertibles either - I'm glad my TJ has a hardtop.

Could be but the problem has been common on many "panoramic sunroof" cars going back to 2012 I've been told. When you replace a shear diaphragm with glass in a unibody car you get this over time. Genesis extended the warranty on the sun roofs to 10 years 120K. Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity and Audi have similar issues and extended warranties.

The pressure it was under was huge....as when it went off it sounded like an M-80 went off in the car.

How does a car’s sunroof “explode?”​

While it probably sounds like a really weird concept, a sunroof “explodes” when it randomly, and spontaneously, shatters while you’re driving. The reason why this phenomenon has been called an explosion is due to the loud “bang” that the glass makes when it shatters. According to Global News, the issue could be from contaminants inside the glass, which cause the glass to shatter due to “internal stress caused by high temperatures.”

We have the same problem with tempered glass in high rise buildings, I just finished 2 yrs of replacing 33 pieces in the Sales Force Tower due to NS inclusions. The Chinese glass maker won’t warrant the glass unless we can prove it’s spontaneous breakage, the pattern it makes at the inclusion can easily be found as long as the glass is still there, once it falls out it’s usually a cost to the insurance company.

The red arrows are our projects the blue arrow points to the infamous leaning Millennium Tower the on in the foreground and the one with the spire are USA made glass and have been issue free the tallest and the one behind the other are China made glass we have been warranting for years due to spontaneous breakages.

38B2E57F-7C7C-436A-B958-199939A02193.jpeg

How does a car’s sunroof “explode?”​

While it probably sounds like a really weird concept, a sunroof “explodes” when it randomly, and spontaneously, shatters while you’re driving. The reason why this phenomenon has been called an explosion is due to the loud “bang” that the glass makes when it shatters. According to Global News, the issue could be from contaminants inside the glass, which cause the glass to shatter due to “internal stress caused by high temperatures.”

We have the same problem with tempered glass in high rise buildings, I just finished 2 yrs of replacing 33 pieces in the Sales Force Tower due to NS inclusions. The Chinese glass maker won’t warrant the glass unless we can prove it’s spontaneous breakage, the pattern it makes at the inclusion can easily be found as long as the glass is still there, once it falls out it’s usually a cost to the insurance company.

The red arrows are our projects the blue arrow points to the infamous leaning Millennium Tower the on in the foreground and the one with the spire are USA made glass and have been issue free the tallest and the one behind the other are China made glass we have been warranting for years due to spontaneous breakages.

View attachment 315343

Are you a glazing contractor?

As an Architect I've seen that a lot. We just had it as the main entry doors at a hospital that was finished in July of last year. I'm pretty familiar with that and it's not just "Chinese" glass. It's happened to US manufactured glazing over the years as well. Infamously in a tower in Philadelphia back in the 90's.

Most of the "spontaneous" breaks I've seen are with a 50 degree or more temperature difference between inside and outside.

I believe the sunroof frame was racked slightly (wife said it was not closing smoothly) and it stressed the glass and it finally popped. It could be bad glass but my guess is it's more of a design issue with panoramic sunroofs. The glazing has a Hyundai stamp that indicates it was sourced in Seoul for what it's worth.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Taller tires and longer wheel base, FTW!!!
Looks like mods are in order for next time!!💪
That's a given. Longer cranks, too. I could have used some bleach on the front tire before the start. I think the tire spun three times before it bit.:) Hence the lousy start.

• Haha
Are you a glazing contractor?

As an Architect I've seen that a lot. We just had it as the main entry doors at a hospital that was finished in July of last year. I'm pretty familiar with that and it's not just "Chinese" glass. It's happened to US manufactured glazing over the years as well. Infamously in a tower in Philadelphia back in the 90's.

Most of the "spontaneous" breaks I've seen are with a 50 degree or more temperature difference between inside and outside.

I believe the sunroof frame was racked slightly (wife said it was not closing smoothly) and it stressed the glass and it finally popped. It could be bad glass but my guess is it's more of a design issue with panoramic sunroofs. The glazing has a Hyundai stamp that indicates it was sourced in Seoul for what it's worth.
Superintendent for a global curtain wall company. It happens to US made glass too but not as frequently because it’s more expensive they try harder to keep the nickel contamination to a minimum, the Chinese don’t seem to care and the buyer/owner gets a much cheaper building.