Random Tire Shake

freebo86

TJ Enthusiast
So every now and then I will get a tire shake kind of like an imbalance. Example today I will be driving 40 with no issues, usual tire shake at around 50-60 which is cause by an imbalance.
Next day I will be driving now the tire shake is felt at 40..

Is it normal to have tire shakes randomly occur at random speeds one day to the next if incorrectly balanced? My understanding was unbalanced typically occurs at a speed but remains at that range or close same speed it should not change within a range?

When control arms or other suspension components start to wear the Jeep will begin to have trouble keeping the impacts under control and you'll get these shakes. I'd do the dry steer test to be sure everything is tight and if you are running stock control arms in the front consider replacing those (with new stock control arms).

Reactions: Zorba
That's good to know - I know for a FACT that most of my various bushings are shot, will be going through all that with new springs and shocks next spring.

When control arms or other suspension components start to wear the Jeep will begin to have trouble keeping the impacts under control and you'll get these shakes. I'd do the dry steer test to be sure everything is tight and if you are running stock control arms in the front consider replacing those (with new stock control arms).

My issue isn’t related to any impacts. I’m talking about driving on a straight road that couldn’t be any smoother.
Also, the Jeeps components are stock and quite low miles.. ~21k on the Jeep.

Miles may be low but the rubber still ages regardless. I'd suspect the bushings more than bearings based on miles but I'd still inspect everything up front.

Valid point. Are the rubber bushings in the control arms replaceable without swapping entire arm? I’d want to go OEM, not interested in poly.
Jeep is a garage queen..

Valid point. Are the rubber bushings in the control arms replaceable without swapping entire arm? I’d want to go OEM, not interested in poly.
Jeep is a garage queen..
I've replaced just the bushings, it is an option that isn't too difficult with a ball joint press. It takes time. Off road I tore some of mine that I replaced out of the arms, so now I try to suggest just getting the whole arm. They aren't too expensive at places like rockauto. If you just cruise around in yours either option is probably fine.

I've replaced just the bushings, it is an option that isn't too difficult with a ball joint press. It takes time. Off road I tore some of mine that I replaced out of the arms, so now I try to suggest just getting the whole arm. They aren't too expensive at places like rockauto. If you just cruise around in yours either option is probably fine.

Thanks I’ll look into it. I have 12ton press so removal install should be easy.
Will take a look at my arms and see if I can see stretch/dry marks on them.

It's not easy to see if they are bad via inspection unfortunately. If you do press in new bushings sockets work great to keep the arms from collapsing, you'll see what I mean. Definitely research that dry steer test, very useful.

Reactions: freebo86
Front or back wheel? You have to check wheel bearings and ball joints along with complete steering up front. Brake rotors could be warped rim slightly bent, etc. Lots of possible causes when you have a vehicle as old as our TJs.

It's not easy to see if they are bad via inspection unfortunately. If you do press in new bushings sockets work great to keep the arms from collapsing, you'll see what I mean. Definitely research that dry steer test, very useful.

Took a look this morning, I see what oyu mean about collapsing. Same principle as my BMW control arms so shouldnt be too much of a issue.

Front or back wheel? You have to check wheel bearings and ball joints along with complete steering up front. Brake rotors could be warped rim slightly bent, etc. Lots of possible causes when you have a vehicle as old as our TJs.

It's front, im 99% sure. Ball Joints were replaced on the passenger side couple of years ago by me.

Steering is tight, it drives tight and feels tight. It's just this shimmy.

The undercarriage is mint, to the point where you can see still original factory markings on the bolts. That is why I am hesitant that the rim etc. may be bent.

So I got under it today and rechecked torques on trackbar, control arms and other items that may affect it and all is in good order. Did a dry steering test and no odd movements. Now I did notice that my control arm bushings have some weather cracking on them but I’m not sure to what extent this would actually impact it? Or this is simple a tire balance issue.

2D4BBF05-88D5-44BB-A6E9-440DE34EA38D.jpeg

F9FF211C-9B77-4396-805B-A2004253FA28.jpeg

8A716F6A-88D4-4ED7-A46C-BE18A6159904.jpeg

A simple test is to switch your front tires to the back. I was chasing a similar issue with a new to me jeep. Shop said the tires were fine but when I swapped the front to rear the issue went away and ended up narrowing it down to a single tire that I just ended up getting rid of.

1. Swap tires
2. If that didn’t fix then I’d look at the 15+ year old arm rubber bushings.
3. Sounds like you’ve done something similar, if I was doing it I’d just buy nee OEM arms with bushings in, just pulling them from front lower axle side was a workout.

I can’t recall but I’m pretty sure I tried the tire swap - can’t recall. These 33s I picked up used last year when I did my lift. Their 2014 year tire not sure if that may have something to do with it...

Yah I have access to a 12 Ton press and have rebuild the entire rear end on my BMW so I’m no stranger to pressing bushings in etc.

I looked at rock auto and got a headache the way they classify the bushings and quantify them. Are the front lower arm ones the same for both axle and frame side?

Lowers are same front to rear. Get the ones with the bushings already installed. They aren't that much more. Even if it's your labor, it still costs you something.