Ratcheting sound from front end at parking lot speeds

gaabbee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok read another thread on here that didn't post a solution so need to ask again. 06 LJR 100k miles. I get a ratcheting sound from the front end at parking lot speeds and making turns. Usually louder when hot. So far I've replaced U-joints in the rear drive shaft and front axle shafts. I've removed the front drive shaft and still get the noise.

I jacked up the driver side tire with the drive shaft disconnected and spun it by hand and can hear a clicking from the carrier or bearing. Sounds like the auto locker in my cj but I don't think the rubicon lockers should be making any noise. I cycled the lockers front and rear and still hear it. Tired of throwing parts at it. Has anyone had this on a rubicon and found the problem? Thanks

It sounds diff related to me. I would remove the cover and inspect it.

Wiggle the pinion from the outside. Look for play in the pinion bearing there. Pop the cover and rotate the carrier, inspect the ring and pinion for damage and excessive wear. Take a flashlight and look inside the carrier at the spider gears while turning it. Check the spiders thoroughly. Have someone spin one of the tires. Listen for the noise. Maybe pull the axles and carrier and check the bearings.

Reactions: gaabbee
Ok read another thread on here that didn't post a solution so need to ask again. 06 LJR 100k miles. I get a ratcheting sound from the front end at parking lot speeds and making turns. Usually louder when hot. So far I've replaced U-joints in the rear drive shaft and front axle shafts. I've removed the front drive shaft and still get the noise.

I jacked up the driver side tire with the drive shaft disconnected and spun it by hand and can hear a clicking from the carrier or bearing. Sounds like the auto locker in my cj but I don't think the rubicon lockers should be making any noise. I cycled the lockers front and rear and still hear it. Tired of throwing parts at it. Has anyone had this on a rubicon and found the problem? Thanks
Has your front differential ever been removed & and replaced? Did the ratcheting noise start after that?

Has your front differential ever been removed & and replaced? Did the ratcheting noise start after that?
Don't have any maintenance history on it but seems to be the original dana 44. The noise has been there since I've bought it last year. I just figured it was axle or drive shaft u joints...

Yeah sounds almost like someone replaced the original locker with a lunchbox. Maybe take the cover off and snap a pic?

Reactions: Zorba
Since your front axle had that issue when you bought the Jeep, here's my guess and theory what is causing the problem. Your ratcheting could be caused by someone having removed the differential (locker) without having properly reinstalled it while the previous owner owned it.

There is a sensor inside the axle housing that gets in the way of the locker actuator if either the differential is removed and replaced without keeping the sensor out of the way until the differential is installed, or the sensor itself was replaced without removing the differential first. Either of those will position the hook tip of the sensor on the wrong side of the locker actuator so it pushes against the actuator which can cause the locker to partially engage which would cause it to either ratchet or lock.

You can test for that by seeing if the sensor can be unscrewed/removed from the housing. If the sensor is properly installed you won't be able to remove it. If it's not installed properly, it will easily come out and then you can secure it up out of the way and go for a test drive to see if the ratcheting sound is gone. The sensor is the only object on the housing that has a cable harness going to it, it just takes a wrench to remove it. It's near the top of the housing so gear lube won't leak out if you remove it for the test.

This is the sensor from the inside of my Dana 44 housing... that red item is a piece of toothpick placed there to hold it fully extended while the differential is reinstalled. That way the tip of the sensor will be positioned on the correct side of the locker actuator. The piece of clear fishing line tied to it is so the toothpick can be pulled out once the differential is back in place.

Toothpick-in-carrier-wide-angle.jpg

Reactions: Zorba and gaabbee
Yup, you need to take a look. I just put seals and shafts in mine, had to pull the carrier. Its not too bad to do if you have some mechanical experience.

Since your front axle had that issue when you bought the Jeep, here's my guess and theory what is causing the problem. Your ratcheting could be caused by someone having removed the differential (locker) without having properly reinstalled it while the previous owner owned it.

There is a sensor inside the axle housing that gets in the way of the locker actuator if either the differential is removed and replaced without keeping the sensor out of the way until the differential is installed, or the sensor itself was replaced without removing the differential first. Either of those will get the tip of the sensor on the wrong side of the locker actuator so it pushes on the actuator which can cause the locker to partially engage.

You can test for that by seeing if the sensor can be unscrewed/removed from the housing. If the sensor is properly installed you won't be able to remove it. If it's not installed properly, it will easily come out and then you can secure it up out of the way and go for a test drive to see if the ratcheting sound is gone. The sensor is the only object on the housing that has a cable harness going to it, it just takes a wrench to remove it. It's near the top of the housing so gear lube won't leak out if you remove it for the test.

His locker indicator light is working. That would indicate the plunger is engaging wouldn't it? Wouldn't work if it wasn't installed correctly to engage the flange I thought.

There is a sensor inside the axle housing that gets in the way of the locker actuator if either the differential is removed and replaced without keeping the sensor out of the way until the differential is installed, or the sensor itself was replaced without removing the differential first. Either of those will get the tip of the sensor on the wrong side of the locker actuator so it pushes on the actuator which can cause the locker to partially engage.

Ok thanks I’ll give it a try

His locker indicator light is working. That would indicate the plunger is engaging wouldn't it? Wouldn't work if it wasn't installed correctly to engage the flange I thought.
More/better suggestions what the problem is will be gratefully accepted. That front locker light definitely wouldn't be working if the locker had been replaced by a lunchbox locker though I guess with ingenuity anything is possible. :)