Rattle Can Spray Texture

Ramona Wrangler

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anybody use this paint on your Jeep? Looking at picking up used front and rear tube bumper and I may cut off the hoop. Then finish with rattle can spray paint

I use nothing more exotic than Rustoleum self-etching primer and their satin black paint. It looks good and it's easy to touch up. Just make sure to adhere to the timing instructions on when you can apply second or third coats. Applied at the wrong time second or third coats can craze and ruin the paint job. They must be applied within 30 minutes of the first coat or you have to wait something like a week for it to finish curing.

I used it (rustoleum) on my bumpers - it's not a very deep texture (which is good since you don't want it to capture too much). But I would stay away from tube bumpers, they pretty quickly date a jeep.
"pretty quickly date a jeep" whatever that means

Anyone have any pics? I'm looking at a Motobilt stubby bumper and I'm having a hard time finding anyone who will powdercoat it at a reasonable price.

Edit: I found a picture of yours, @rasband, it even looks like you have the bumper I'm looking at. It holds up pretty well?

Anyone have any pics? I'm looking at a Motobilt stubby bumper and I'm having a hard time finding anyone who will powdercoat it at a reasonable price.

Edit: I found a picture of yours, @rasband, it even looks like you have the bumper I'm looking at. It holds up pretty well?
Yeah. It's not bad - I'm fairly lazy with painting things like that (bumpers, rockers) since they'll get all scratched up anyways so I'm surprised it's been as good as it has. I'd get pictures but I'm currently chopping up and customizing my bumper...

keep it up big guy or I will go chrome tube bumpers on you

Don't be afraid. Stand out in a sea of black. ;)

1646769495986.png

No matter what you do to your rig, you can't please everybody. I'm not a follower, about the only thing I followed, was a snowplow. Then there are those that think square headlights don't belong on a Jeep

I had picked up a rear bumper with a to hitch. I sanded it used rusty metal primer and then Painted it with Rustoleum Hammered Texture black paint because I was hot to trot to get it done. It has lasted about three years with no signs of deterioration. I typically use Satin black on items I am painting.

I had picked up a rear bumper with a to hitch. I sanded it used rusty metal primer and then Painted it with Rustoleum Hammered Texture black paint because I was hot to trot to get it done. It has lasted about three years with no signs of deterioration. I typically use Satin black on items I am painting.
I hope it wasn't a tube bumper with this crowd.....

Yeah, the Rustoleum textured is nice. Like @rasband said, it’s a really light texture. So far with mine, the areas I painted with it have cleaned up easy when I have gotten it muddy.