Rattling noise in the back of my TJ

Redhorse

When I hit a bump on the road I get a rattling noise at the rear of my Jeep. I can’t figure out where to start looking. It doesn’t make the noise when I shake the Jeep sitting still.

Get someone to stand by a speed bump and narrow it down, that’s always a start.

Also, check inside the tailgate, and the exhaust hanger back there. Just where I would start

Having the tailgate and rear glass out of alignment and not meshing properly can cause really annoying rattling.

LOL.. I just started to get a rattle at the tailgate as well.. came out of nowhere. I haven't done any work out back since it got cold. Can't replicate it when not driving. I've tapped, tugged, banged and pushed on everything and can't replicate it. Carrier is tight. Checked tailgate latch cover, third brake light assembly, all the bolts to the Bestop InstaTrunk, latched and relatched the rear bench. Haven't folded it forward yet, but I will today..

Sound is coming from inside.

Going to have my daughter ride in the back and try to find it. That might help if I can coax her to pay attention to something other than her smartphone for five minutes..

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
LOL.. I just started to get a rattle at the tailgate as well.. came out of nowhere.
Going to have my daughter ride in the back and try to find it. That might help if I can coax her to pay attention to something other than her smartphone for five minutes..

Rattlesnake. Bring anti-venom and stop letting your daughter figure it out.

Wait - You guys can hear rattles in the back of your Jeep?

🙂

Annoys the shit out of me...
And I have one annoying little squeak over bumps. Thought it was the little rubber hood pads by the hood latches but it's in the suspension somewhere. I'm not going to search for that one.

Annoys the shit out of me...
And I have one annoying little squeak over bumps. Thought it was the little rubber hood pads by the hood latches but it's in the suspension somewhere. I'm not going to search for that one.

did you install your bestop tire carrier yet?

I think I found the rattling noise. The bushings are wore out on the rear stabilizer bar. I got under my Jeep and started banging around and found the noise I was hearing. Do you have to have a rear stabilizer bar? I took my front and rear stabilizers off my Polaris side by side and it drives fine.

I think I found the rattling noise. The bushings are wore out on the rear stabilizer bar. I got under my Jeep and started banging around and found the noise I was hearing. Do you have to have a rear stabilizer bar? I took my front and rear stabilizers off my Polaris side by side and it drives fine.

Why not replace the bushings?

Replace the bushings. Do the fronts while you're at it.

My rattle stopped. I'm going to dig around over the weekend. I'll probably find a wrench or socket hiding somewhere it wasn't supposed be. On the other hand, something might fall before I get to dig around. That would suck.

dear God I hope my brother doesn't see this thread. his Jeep will start rattling in the back tomorrow even if he doesn't drive it !