Rattling when resting foot on clutch

Austin O.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This has been going on since I got the jeep. Not something that concerns me, but a bit odd, so why not ask about it?

I mostly notice this when stopped at a red light. I have the car in neutral, right foot on the brake, left just resting on the clutch. And I mean resting, not putting any force into it. When my foot rests on it, theres a rattling sound, if I take my foot off, it stops, if I push the clutch in it stops. What’s going on? Something to be concerned about? Video below

Mine's been doing that when warmed up for 2 years now. I have a new clutch & all the other parts sitting for when it starts to get louder. So far, it's the same.

Reactions: Austin O.
What you're hearing is the normal sound of the transmission's spinning input shaft and its bearings while it's in Neutral. When you push the clutch pedal to the floor those sounds stop because that disconnects the transmission's input shaft from the engine as it idles.

Reactions: BlueC and Austin O.
You're actually putting force on the clutch by your video...that clutch pedal is moving. I'd say you're hearing the throw-out bearing rubbing on the fork.

So I wouldn’t say force, yes, it is moving, but it is super loose for that first bit and that’s just me resting my foot on there. I guess I am pushing it down, but not actively doing it. It’s just kinda happening when my foots on it.

So I wouldn’t say force, yes, it is moving, but it is super loose for that first bit and that’s just me resting my foot on there. I guess I am pushing it down, but not actively doing it. It’s just kinda happening when my foots on it.

If you weren’t putting any force on it at all, wouldn’t the pedal react the same with and without your foot on it?

If you weren’t putting any force on it at all, wouldn’t the pedal react the same with and without your foot on it?

This is confusing 🤣
Okay, so I mean that I am not actually pushing on it. My foot is simply resting on it.

When I push down on the clutch, there are kind of two parts to it. The first part takes no effort at all, my foot rests on it and it moves an inch down. Then it kind of stops there. The second part is where I actually have to use my leg and actively push down so that I can change gears.

When my foot rests on it and it moves a bit (as shown in the video) it doesn’t do anything. (Except rattle) I cannot shift when it is in the position. I have to push down more in order to shift.

FWIW I could be describing a perfectly normal thing that a clutch does in a car and I just don’t know it because I don’t have experience in other cars. This just seems a bit odd to me, hence why I asked about it.

Hopefully that helps explain it :)

This is confusing 🤣
Okay, so I mean that I am not actually pushing on it. My foot is simply resting on it.

When I push down on the clutch, there are kind of two parts to it. The first part takes no effort at all, my foot rests on it and it moves an inch down. Then it kind of stops there. The second part is where I actually have to use my leg and actively push down so that I can change gears.

When my foot rests on it and it moves a bit (as shown in the video) it doesn’t do anything. (Except rattle) I cannot shift when it is in the position. I have to push down more in order to shift.

FWIW I could be describing a perfectly normal thing that a clutch does in a car and I just don’t know it because I don’t have experience in other cars. This just seems a bit odd to me, hence why I asked about it.

Hopefully that helps explain it :)

I’m sorry, my post was a little sarcastic lol. What I’m saying is that you may not mean to be putting any force on it but you are. The clutch pedal isn’t a foot rest😂

Th
I’m sorry, my post was a little sarcastic lol. What I’m saying is that you may not mean to be putting any force on it but you are. The clutch pedal isn’t a foot rest😂

The internet… where you never know what someone is actually trying to say 😂

As others have said, you're hearing the engagement/disengagement of various clutch/trans/engine parts. It is normal and not an issue.

To the movement and resting your foot on it, you are applying more pressure to the system than you think due to mechanical advantage of the pedal. So if your foot applies 5 lbs, depending on ratio, that might equal 50 lbs on the system, plus whatever hydraulic pressure. There is a small amount of free movement, like 1/4", at the top that you can feel. This is why you shouldn't rest your foot on a pedal. The same happens with the brake system.

Reactions: Austin O.