Re-Gear Respect

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Okay guys I'm going to throw this out there and I don't want anyone to get the idea that I think I'm the Forum police.

I have seen more threads about regearing where people just get absolutely ridiculously set in their position about what needs to be done, and most of these are people that do this have probably never even geared an Erector set.

Recently we had one where someone was treated like someone's whipping boy ...it was totally uncalled for. Squatch really responded tactfully.

You can talk all day long about RPM and highway speed and what the gear ratio should be for these vehicles. You can consult any website you want to consult.

At the end of the day that is all academic.

There are just a handful of viable gear ratios available and applicable for these Jeeps.

Pick the gear ratio that is close to right for your tire size and transmission and you will be just fine. You can argue about it until you're blue in the face but what those gears do once they're installed in your differential is all that's going to matter... If you want to get really down to the nitty-gritty... Tire manufacturers vary so much in the actual height of the tire that you're not going to nail all of it on the head, but if you regear and do what's generally recommended in ratios , it is fantastic .

I know there are a lot of smart guys on here , and I understand satisfying your intellect , but at the end of the day , its installing the gears in the Jeep that gets it done .

My point in all this is this: you can absolutely use quantum physics if you want to , or you can do about what Chris and Jerry and Rob recommend , and get the same results with a lot less drama .

So cheers to @Squatch for showing class when someone else showed something else , and to the experts on here worth listening to.

Be glad we have them.

Last edited:
Who the hell is messing with our boy @Squatch ?! :mad:

Funny anecdote; I rebuilt a TH350 years ago using a fsm (no youtube back then :D )Not overly difficult being a simple 3 speed auto but still is an automatic transmission. As I recall I needed very few specialty tools to complete the job, which I borrowed from a GM tech friend. Took me a few nights after work to get er done but in the end it worked as intended. What is funny you may ask? Nobody ever says "I watched a couple videos" or "It isn't some black magic" to rebuild an automatic transmission.

So to anyone wanting to give it a shot, I say do it. I will help out as much as I can as will others I am sure. But when somebody says it may take more than a couple of YT videos to get it done, don't get all butt hurt and think that person is putting you down. They are just passing along some insight/experience to help you out.

Okay guys I'm going to throw this out there and I don't want anyone to get the idea that I think I'm the Forum police.

I have seen more threads about regearing where people just get absolutely ridiculously set in their position about what needs to be done, and most of these are people that do this have probably never even geared an Erector set.

Recently we had one where @Squatch was treated like someone's whipping boy ...it was totally uncalled for.

You can talk all day long about RPM and highway speed and what the gear ratio should be for these vehicles. You can consult any website you want to consult.

At the end of the day that is all academic.

There are just a handful of viable gear ratios available and applicable for these Jeeps.

Pick the gear ratio that is close to right for your tire size and transmission and you will be just fine. You can argue about it until you're blue in the face but what those gears do once they're installed in your differential is all that's going to matter... If you want to get really down to the nitty-gritty... Tire manufacturers vary so much in the actual height of the tire that you're not going to nail all of it on the head, but if you regear and do what's generally recommended in ratios , it is fantastic .

I know there are a lot of smart guys on here , and I understand satisfying your intellect , but at the end of the day , its installing the gears in the Jeep that gets it done .

My point in all this is this: you can absolutely use quantum physics if you want to , or you can do about what Chris and Jerry and Rob recommend , and get the same results with a lot less drama .

So cheers to @Squatch for showing class when someone else showed something else , and to the experts on here worth listening to.

Be glad we have them.
Ummm...while I absolutely appreciate your standing by me, @AndyG...and I mean that sincerely...I have to say that I have no idea what attack you're referring to, my friend. Best I can figure is it's either a post from long, long ago where I recall someone thought I was wrong to want to adhere to my 3.73 gears while running 31" tires, or that @Chris deleted someone's post where they were roasting me for something, and I never even saw the post. Other than that, maybe you're defending the wrong guy...? Made a mistake, and it was actually someone else tied to the whipping post? It almost doesn't matter (to me), as it means a helluva lot that you would defend any forum member who was being attacked. That says a lot about you, my friend. Good on ya! :thumbsup:

* Now seriously, I have no idea what incident we're talking about, here. Care to enlighten me? o_O

Reactions: Chris
Ummm...while I absolutely appreciate your standing by me, @AndyG...and I mean that sincerely...I have to say that I have no idea what attack you're referring to, my friend. Best I can figure is it's either a post from long, long ago where I recall someone thought I was wrong to want to adhere to my 3.73 gears while running 31" tires, or that @Chris deleted someone's post where they were roasting me for something, and I never even saw the post. Other than that, maybe you're defending the wrong guy...? Made a mistake, and it was actually someone else tied to the whipping post? It almost doesn't matter (to me), as it means a helluva lot that you would defend any forum member who was being attacked. That says a lot about you, my friend. Good on ya! :thumbsup:

* Now seriously, I have no idea what incident we're talking about, here. Care to enlighten me? o_O

I’m pretty sure I read that post Andy is talking about on the crapper about 3 am a few nights ago and “liked” quite a few post from like 3 years ago
I have yet to see @AndyG ’s TJ ..........

I
I’m pretty sure I read that post Andy is talking about on the crapper about 3 am a few nights ago and “liked” quite a few post from like 3 years ago
Maybe it was , I edited my post , and maybe it was an antique thread.

Anyway , Squatch responded tactfully, and that was commendable .

Just calling bull on all the yah yah .

And I totally agree with the post about not getting all offended when someone says it's challenging to regear one . They are being truthful .

I

Maybe it was , I edited my post , and maybe it was an antique thread.

Anyway , Squatch responded tactfully, and that was commendable .

Just calling bull on all the yah yah .

And I totally agree with the post about not getting all offended when someone says it's challenging to regear one . They are being truthful .
Okay, now it makes more sense. It was someone who apparently joined the forum for the sole purpose of slamming one of our longtime members who sees things a little differently when it comes to gearing for the type of wheeling he does. His attacks were personal, and asinine. @Chris banned him as soon as he read the post. This all happened a few weeks ago, maybe...not that long ago, at all.

Anyway, I agree with what you've said here. And thank you again for the kind words.

Absolutely . I wasn't meaning to dredge up anything , missed the elapsed time frame .

Oh yeah, I banned that guy after his first post. He was some moron who decided to join the forum just to be a dick. Stuff like that doesn’t fly on my watch.

He can keep that drama on Facebook.

Must have been a JKU owner...

I loved the two video kid the other night.... You guys know what kills me about people getting upset when they the forewarned about the challenges of doing a regear themselves..... The second they ask if they should do it tells you they don't know how..

Sometimes not knowing what it is that you don't know can really get you in trouble.

Reactions: Squatch