Re-gearing my Dana 35 to 4.56 from 3.07

Tytanium94

Supporting Member
I’ve been adjusting this axle back and forth for a couple days now. And after getting the drive and coast to match each other at the toe, I’ve been able to get the drive pattern perfect but the coast pattern hasn’t moved. Even after moving the ring gear 20 thousandths to the left and the pinion gear in 5 thousandths. The only thing the coast pattern has shown different is the weird patch on the toe as well as the heel….not sure what’s that about. Any opinions?

2F7EF5C0-12EF-4FE5-87B5-4C0367D12F48.jpeg

7EEFF12F-3697-4C1A-A89A-E38036AB950F.jpeg

Are you loading the ring gear with some pressure when you are rotating to check your pattern?
Spin the pinion with a drill and hold a rag on the edge of ring so that it's not freewheeling?
Yep that’s exactly what I’m doing. Just a Milwaukee drill and a rag on the middle of the ring gear pushing down as I spin it both ways at a decent speed for 20ish rotations each direction.

L
Are you loading the ring gear with some pressure when you are rotating to check your pattern?
Spin the pinion with a drill and hold a rag on the edge of ring so that it's not freewheeling?
do you think I’m not pushing hard enough possibly? I’m pushing down with just the strength of my arm, not my body weight or anything like that. It’s also outside of the vehicle atm. And set up bearings (made from the old bearings) are being used. And no crush sleeve is being used while setting it up

L

do you think I’m not pushing hard enough possibly? I’m pushing down with just the strength of my arm, not my body weight or anything like that. It’s also outside of the vehicle atm. And set up bearings (made from the old bearings) are being used. And no crush sleeve is being used while setting it up

That sounds like enough force to me, but I'm no expert either.

I'm thinking having no pinion preload is screwing with you?
Use your old crush sleeve and shim it to get setup preload if you aren't confident about your pinion shims yet.
But I think your pinion is climbing the ring with no preload.
Not sure I'm thinking about it right, but wouldn't that add up to your coast pattern issues?

Reactions: macleanflood
That sounds like enough force to me, but I'm no expert either.

I'm thinking having no pinion preload is screwing with you?
Use your old crush sleeve and shim it to get setup preload if you aren't confident about your pinion shims yet.
But I think your pinion is climbing the ring with no preload.
Not sure I'm thinking about it right, but wouldn't that add up to your coast pattern issues?
It really could be, I'll have to give that a shot, I'll try that out tomorrow then!

Reactions: J.Pierce
Definitley use the old crush sleeve when setting up. Also I would add some depth, especially if you do any wheeling.