Read the Instructions, Doh

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've spent the last few weeks, during the evenings, and most weekend days, cleaning and painting the frame of my LJ. I even dropped the gas tank skid and sand blasted the nooks and crannies, along with wire wheeling the large flat areas to bare metal. The PO used a lot of rubberized undercoating, and I wanted it removed.
After removing the undercoating, rust, and paint, I sprayed 2 coats of self etching primer on the bare metal, and topped off with Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black. I just finished last night. At this point I decided to read all the instructions. What I read was, "Do Not Use Over Self Etching Primers". Ouch.

I emailed Eastwood and asked them what happens, and here's their reply;

Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry as well as for your patience. The two coatings are not compatible they will chemically react. It will wrinkle and peel off. You will need to completely strip off both layers and re apply with 2 products that are compatible.

I don't blame Eastwood, and their customer service was quick to reply.

My recommendation for the future is to read the instructions before you start.

Reactions: Jack72 and dudehitt
Not trying to add insult to injury, but ALWAYS read the directions on paint. There are too many different chemical reactions going on and prep is too much work to screw up...as I'm sorry you're finding out.

Good luck on the re-application.

This is why automotive paint has BIG institutions
15572804878465108937769873698727.jpg

Reactions: K0LCB
You lie. It would have said 120 degrees C in your part of the world.
Yes your correct..but just like I have to change some of my spelling (Colour=Color and Tyres =Tires etc ) for you guys to understand me, I had to do the same here. 😁

Last edited: