Real roll bar padding

afmoto

DURTY TJ
Supporting Member
This might be mostly a tall people problem - I'm over 6'4", not quite 6'5" - but the roll bar padding is as old as my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and I smacked my head into the roll bar yesterday due to an unexpected drop and didn't like it all that much. It wasn't hard enough for a concussion or anything like that, but enough to get my attention that it's probably time to get new roll bar padding. Any suggestions for quality padding and a good wrap for it? Aesthetics are not a concern, it's an old TJ and I usually have the hardtop on it anyway. After 20+ years I imagine the foam in the existing roll bar padding is pretty much worthless, so anything new should be an improvement.

I know we can buy glorified pool noodles from Smittybuilt or Rugged Ridge or whatever, but I'm looking for something much better. Does the SFI spec 45.1 padding make sense? I want something that will actually protect my head and I don't care if I wrap it with 3" tape, I'm more interested in cushioning the blow to my melon. All the extra bars in a sport cage are one of the reasons I haven't installed one yet - sure, the added protection in a rollover might be a good thing but it seems it's far more common to smack your head into the roll bar due to unexpected terrain than a rollover. Besides, what good is a roll cage if you crack your head on the roll bars...

This might be mostly a tall people problem - I'm over 6'4", not quite 6'5" - but the roll bar padding is as old as my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and I smacked my head into the roll bar yesterday due to an unexpected drop and didn't like it all that much. It wasn't hard enough for a concussion or anything like that, but enough to get my attention that it's probably time to get new roll bar padding. Any suggestions for quality padding and a good wrap for it? Aesthetics are not a concern, it's an old TJ and I usually have the hardtop on it anyway. After 20+ years I imagine the foam in the existing roll bar padding is pretty much worthless, so anything new should be an improvement.

I know we can buy glorified pool noodles from Smittybuilt or Rugged Ridge or whatever, but I'm looking for something much better. Does the SFI spec 45.1 padding make sense? I want something that will actually protect my head and I don't care if I wrap it with 3" tape, I'm more interested in cushioning the blow to my melon. All the extra bars in a sport cage are one of the reasons I haven't installed one yet - sure, the added protection in a rollover might be a good thing but it seems it's far more common to smack your head into the roll bar due to unexpected terrain than a rollover. Besides, what good is a roll cage if you crack your head on the roll bars...
I have the bestop replacement padding and it was an improvement over stock. But if your looking for race quality there will either be custom covers or tape involved. You could look on eBay and find the covers for an 03-06 and do some custom foam work of your own. The 03-06 have a thick hard foam covering portions of the roll bars. My guess is for this exact reason. When it comes to cages and custom race vehicle, the bars are a part of the reason helmets are worn.

Reactions: JMT
45.1 is really designed to be used with a helmet, it might be too hard for a mild impact but definitely better than the soft stuff and absolutely better than bare steel. If you can find used factory stuff in good condition that is your best option as far as safety in my opinion. I've considered the 45.1 type padding before but always fall back on stock for that reason. At some point all the factory foam is going to age out regardless, at that point I'll probably switch and live with it being a little harder than it's supposed to be.