Rear Axle Advise - Dana 44

Svarbo

I have a 2004 Wrangler TJ and have finally got to the bottom of my vibration. I replaced all 4 tires today and got everything inspected. The shop showed me that the right rear Axle appears to be bend and has a slight wobble. I am almost certain it's a Dana 44 Rear Axle. Do I just replace the inner axle shaft on the passenger side rear? If so, what's the best place to get one. I found one a 4 Wheel Parts for under $180. Does that seem right?

$180 doesn't sound too bad, they're $165 on www.rockauto.com but you have to be sure you've got a Dana 44 to insure you get the right axle shaft. Look at your rear axle's differential cover's fill hole plug. If the plug is threaded steel that you remove with a wrench, it's the Dana 44. If it has a snap-in black plastic cover over the fill hole, it's a Dana 35.

And be aware the left and right-side axle shafts in a Dana 44 have slightly different lengths so make sure they give you the correct side axle shaft.

6587d1291691518-dana-axle-identification-axle_id_01.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry, I will verify but I am certain it looks like the one in the center of the top row. My Jeep is the Rocky Mountain Edition and I believe they came with the Dana 44. I will make sure I get the passenger side rear shaft.

Thanks Jerry, I will verify but I am certain it looks like the one in the center of the top row. My Jeep is the Rocky Mountain Edition and I believe they came with the Dana 44. I will make sure I get the passenger side rear shaft.

For future reference, the TJ rear Dana 44 axle shafts match the front. Longer axle goes into the passenger side which is the long side in the front. The Dana 35 is the opposite.

Thanks Jerry, I will verify but I am certain it looks like the one in the center of the top row. My Jeep is the Rocky Mountain Edition and I believe they came with the Dana 44.

Rocky Mountain Edition - 2003-2005
* 4.0L I-6 engine
* Dana 44rear axle
* 30" Goodyear GS/A Tireson forged aluminum Alcoa wheels
* Ravine wheels used on 2005 models
* Unique graphite fender flares
* Fog lamps
* Rocky Mountain Edition badging
* Dark Slate Interior
* Unique two-tone seats with Jeep embroidery
* Silver painted instrument panel accents
* Available in Black, Bright Silver, Flame Red, Solar Yellowand Patriot Blue
* Diamond plate rocker guards(similar to Rubicon model)
* Tow hooks