WTB: Rear Axle for TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameronkales

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a tiny 1 car garage and need to do regear on my rear dana 44. I dont have the space to regear the axle while the jeep is in the garage so im looking for ideas.

Im open to:

1) Dana 44 - Buy an entire replacement and rebuild then swap it and sell my current Dana 44
2) Dana 35 - Throw under LJ for few weeks so I can pull my current Dana 44.

Ive been shopping for D44s and would rather buy from someone on forum than random facebook marketplace ad.

Ill consider either option and can come to you to pick up

Last edited:
FYI - before anyone yells at the Dana 35 comment, the LJ will move at most 500 feet. I just can’t sit LJ on jack stands…..bc HOA. I could regear in the jeep but ive heard how miserable this is, so trying to avoid it.

I figure I can make most of $$$ back selling my 44 if I go that route. If I buy a 35 Ill probably have to give it away (or get at most 100 bucks for it).

The 35 route sounds like a good idea given your situation, but I believe you will need a longer drive shaft to make it work.

Someone may know if your current drive shaft is just long enough that you could get by for a few weeks of light driving.

But if you are just moving it around, you don’t need a rear shaft.

And who knows? There is a market for the 35. After you are done, clean it up and paint it and you may get more than $100…

What are you doing with gearing in the front axle?

Reactions: kameronkales
The 35 route sounds like a good idea given your situation, but I believe you will need a longer drive shaft to make it work.

Someone may know if your current drive shaft is just long enough that you could get by for a few weeks of light driving.

But if you are just moving it around, you don’t need a rear shaft.

And who knows? There is a market for the 35. After you are done, clean it up and paint it and you may get more than $100…

What are you doing with gearing in the front axle?

Has 5.13s in front. I plan on driving (garage to curb) in 4wd with rear shaft pulled so don’t care what’s in rear for the 2 weeks I plan on using this axle. I dont plan on driving LJ anymore than from garage to curb and then back once done with regear

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I just can’t sit LJ on jack stands…..bc HOA

Is there a problem with the Jeep sitting in your driveway? Have you read your HOA rules completely? What's keeping you from letting the Jeep sit outside while you work inside the garage?

Is there a problem with the Jeep sitting in your driveway? Have you read your HOA rules completely? What's keeping you from letting the Jeep sit outside while you work inside the garage?

well....I dont have a driveway so thats the problem. I have read the rules and any cars sitting on jack stands are fines. I have a 1 car garage and then street parking.

• Sad
Reactions: Rickyd
What about ordering a full vehicle cover while its sitting on the street (covertly on jack stands)? If they can't see the violation, maybe you're good? You could potentially take advantage of Amazon's generous return policy after the fact too.

well....I dont have a driveway so thats the problem.

That does present a problem. How fast do you think you can do the swap? I'm just saying, if you think you can do it in a few days and the Jeep can sit in one spot for that amount of time, I can't quite tell if this is a running Jeep or if it’s on jack stands with the tires rolled back in place. ;) Your average HOA member won't be able to spot the difference if it looks "whole". Just a thought.

dfb0916c-55f7-4894-ac36-1da55c436c7f-jpeg.375247

That does present a problem. How fast do you think you can do the swap? I'm just saying, if you think you can do it in a few days and the Jeep can sit in one spot for that amount of time, I can't quite tell if this is a running Jeep or if it’s on jack stands with the tires rolled back in place. ;) Your average HOA member won't be able to spot the difference if it looks "whole". Just a thought.

dfb0916c-55f7-4894-ac36-1da55c436c7f-jpeg.375247

If all things go well I could have it done in a few days. But I dont really want to be in a huge hurry and not do the job right. Thats why im looking for a replacement axle.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and BlueC
How strict is your HOA?
How much is the fine?
How much time do you need?
Do you think your HOA would allow it if you asked nicely?
Does you HOA have a management company that comes around to assess violations like these?

How strict is your HOA?
How much is the fine?
How much time do you need?
Do you think your HOA would allow it if you asked nicely?
Does you HOA have a management company that comes around to assess violations like these?

I know everyone here hates HOAs and I do too but its just not an option. Thats why I made this listing.

From this forum it looks like a Dana 35 with a super upgrade actually is an equal or slightly better than a Dana 44. They have the advantage that you find one cheap and rebuild at your leisure. Only thing you are giving up is ability to go deeper gearing than 5.13 but that works for your front diff gearing.

I should clarify - I have zero intention of switching to a Dana 35 outside of a 2 week period. I intend on pulling the dana 44 from under my LJ, putting 35 under it and building the 44.

The only exception would be if someone here has a 44 to part with. In that scenario I would leave the current 44 under my LJ and build the new one.

Otherwise I will either source one from FB or Car Part.

Reactions: BlueC
I agree - find a 44. That way you are only doing one axle swap, instead of two.

I should clarify, I was referring to a temporary 35 axle. Jeep D44s around here are nearly impossibly to find, and when you do, they want a lot for them, usually north of $1,000.

But I do like the idea of finding a 44 and swapping the axle once.

I think that's the route I'd go. You could probably get one today from pull-a-part.

The 35s under XJs won’t work on TJs right? There’s plenty of 35s around in yards from an xj. Haven’t found one from a TJ yet that isn’t 4-8 hour drive to get

The 35s under XJs won’t work on TJs right? There’s plenty of 35s around in yards from an xj. Haven’t found one from a TJ yet that isn’t 4-8 hour drive to get

I'm not 100% on the XJ axle, so I'll let someone else answer that.

Marsh Auto in Siler City has a few TJs, and even a few D44s with a price higher than I was willing to pay. That should be ~1.5 hour drive northeast from you.

Not unless you’re willing to weld all the brackets on since xjs use leaf springs.
I’d say try and get a 44 as well. I know the struggle since I had to drive over 1,000 miles away to get one that wasn’t asking 2k for just the housing. I’m happy with the choice of waiting and getting the 44 and was a lot easier to swap axles in an apartment parking lot that way too.

Any way to find somewhere local (ie friends house, storage unit), that doesn't have a HOA, that you can park the jeep at? Then pull the axle and take it home to get the work needed done? Just trying to come up with ideas so save some $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.