Rear Axle Rotates a Few Degrees

olysan

Hi All,
I have a 2000 Sahara 4.0/32RH with a Dana 35 rear axle. The Jeep has a 2.5" skyjacker lift and adjustable control arms in the rear. Recently I've been trying to chase down and eliminate some rattles. Yesterday I was under the jeep and noticed that I can rotate the wheels slightly while the jeep is in park. When I rotate the wheels the pinion yoke and driveshaft swing up changing the pinion angle by a few degrees. From what I can tell this is due to play in the upper control arm bushing that attaches at the frame. Has anyone else seen this? I've been noticing some torque steer lately that I never noticed in the past. The bushing seems to be tight when I try to move it but I can see it flex when I rotate the wheels slightly.

Appreciate the response. I was able to tighten up the connecting bolts and it went a long way towards fixing the problem. I’m going go through and make sure everything is good and tight this weekend

Reactions: Blondie70
I think what JB is trying to tell you is to replace the bushings and it will be fixed the rest of the way.

Control arm bushings are likely shot.

That makes sense but to help us help him to avoid the same from happening again way too soon I'm going to ask the OP:

Are the upper control arms adjustable or just the lower?

If just the lowers are adjustable are the uppers original or replacements?

Whatever you got, what brand are they?

How old are they and how many miles have they been there?

Have they been on hardcore or just minor off roading, if any?

And since torque steer was mentioned:

Did you have the Jeep in 4wd without a rear driveshaft while trying to leave a ricer with a fart can back at the traffic light?

If so, did you win?

And win, lose, or draw, do you have video?

/\ Sorry, I couldn't resist asking that /\