Rear Brakes Squeaking After Stop

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
Recently my rear brakes started making a squeaking noise after coming to a stop, and letting off the brake pedal…. They do not squeak while stopping, and they do not squeak if I press/release the brakes while sitting still. It’s only happening after I come to a stop from moving, and release the pedal. At first I thought it was coming from my brake pedal, but now that I’ve driven with the doors off, I can hear it coming from my rear brakes.

Also, my parking break seems to be weak now. It basically won’t work. My driveway is on a slight incline, and it still rolls backwards if I try to use the parking brake.

I had my rear brakes, and rear wheel cylinders replaced about 2 years ago after a wheeling trip - I had gone on a trip, utilized my parking brake multiple times on the trail, and the mud/grime had basically caused my rear brakes to stick. When I got home the rear brake pads had basically fallen apart, and I blew out the wheel cylinders while getting it to the shop. So I had everything replaced and they had been fine since then.

Functionally, they seem to work as they’re supposed to, but squeak is extremely annoying.

You're saying you have wheel cylinders (drum brakes) and brake pads (disc brakes), which do you have?

I'll assume drums, and that the squeaking happens any time you press and release the pedal. You likely need to clean and lube the pads. (flat areas on the backing plate)
1694096739535.png

The parking brake is likely just an out-of-adjustment situation.

Reactions: Steve04
You're saying you have wheel cylinders (drum brakes) and brake pads (disc brakes), which do you have?

I'll assume drums, and that the squeaking happens any time you press and release the pedal. You likely need to clean and lube the pads. (flat areas on the backing plate)
View attachment 455764

The parking brake is likely just an out-of-adjustment situation.

I have drums in the back. The drum brakes still have pads, do they not?

I’ll pull everything and clean them with Brake Clean today and see if that does anything for me.

Thanks!

Reactions: macleanflood
I have drums in the back. The drum brakes still have pads, do they not?

Drum brakes have "brake shoes", and wheel cylinders. Disc brakes have brake pads and calipers.

After you clean everything out, make sure you re-lube the pads with a good brake grease. I have used wheel bearing grease before, but that's not as good and will need to be cleaned and redone sooner.

Drum brakes have "brake shoes", and wheel cylinders. Disc brakes have brake pads and calipers.

After you clean everything out, make sure you re-lube the pads with a good brake grease. I have used wheel bearing grease before, but that's not as good and will need to be cleaned and redone sooner.

👍🏻 . So we are talking about the same thing. I thought the shoes had actual pads on them.

I bought some brake grease today from Autozone. I’ll spray everything down with Brake Cleaner, and then put the Grease on them.

Any specific suggestion as to where to grease on the drums? I watched a YouTube video and they suggested the 3 points behind the brake shoes.

Reactions: macleanflood
Any specific suggestion as to where to grease on the drums? I watched a YouTube video and they suggested the 3 points behind the brake shoes.

Yes, look at my first post. In that picture, you see a backing plate with flat pads, two of which are circled in red. Apply the grease there. That's where the brake shoe slides back-and-forth, and is likely where your squeak is coming from.

Make sure your adjuster spins freely while you're in there.

Edit; I should also suggest that you check those stamped pads for flatness. After many miles a grove can be worn in. These pads need to remain flat. If you find a deep grove, the backing plate needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I cleaned everything off with brake cleaner, and applied grease to the points mentioned in the post above. Seems to have worked (at least going up and down my driveway it didn't squeak).... I don't know much about drum brakes, and I couldn't get the shoe-holding springs off. I was able to use what little movement those springs provided, and get the grease brush in behind the shoes to apply it.

Thanks for the help!

Drum brake work is somewhat a lost skill set now. If you intend to work on them any, pick up a set of drum brake spring pliers. They're like $10-15 and will save you many headaches and blood loss.