Rear bumper bottom nut replacement

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Broke the bottom bolts for the rear bumper, pushed them and the nuts up into the frame when I center punched them.

How would I go about getting new nuts back in there?

Is this for the OEM bumper? I guess it wouldn't make a difference but you could Incorporate a frame tie in bracket and possibly get away without that bottom bolt. But I don't know that for certain, just bouncing ideas.

Reactions: matkal
Is this for the OEM bumper? I guess it wouldn't make a difference but you could Incorporate a frame tie in bracket and possibly get away without that bottom bolt. But I don't know that for certain, just bouncing ideas.

It's for an OEM bumper but my concern is with installing a trailer hitch below the bumper(I took the one off that came with the jeep to install the bumper. That's when i broke the bolts)

Thanks

It's for an OEM bumper but my concern is with installing a trailer hitch below the bumper(I took the one off that came with the jeep to install the bumper. That's when i broke the bolts)

Thanks

Yeah I could see where that direction of force could make you want a bottom bolt.

20190415_092200.jpg

Reactions: matkal

Thanks

I'm not quite understanding this. It could very well be my fault, not yours.

What I think I see...You took off a hitch to install the OEM bumper and you're putting the hitch back on.

Are your broken bolts for the hitch, not the bumper? My OEM bumper doesn't bolt into the frame. It has studs from the bumper with nuts where MaloStapalo's picture has two bolt heads holding an aftermarket bumper.

The nuts that go inside the frame for the hitch on mine were attached to a 1/2" x 4" piece of sheetmetal. I'm sure there's a name for those but I can't remember it and failed to find it searching.

I'm not sure if these are what you need but sometimes I amaze myself anyway. While reading what I posted, I came up with flag nut.

Mine were used and somewhat twisted so I hammered them flat and they worked fine. I got mine with a used hitch from DaveysJeep.com

When new, mine probably looked like the long one that is bent up but either long one would probably work.
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/stanley-engineered-fastening/product-22234-1628309.html

I'm not quite understanding this. It could very well be my fault, not yours.

What I think I see...You took off a hitch to install the OEM bumper and you're putting the hitch back on.

Are your broken bolts for the hitch, not the bumper? My OEM bumper doesn't bolt into the frame. It has studs from the bumper with nuts where MaloStapalo's picture has two bolt heads holding an aftermarket bumper.

The nuts that go inside the frame for the hitch on mine were attached to a 1/2" x 4" piece of sheetmetal. I'm sure there's a name for those but I can't remember it and failed to find it searching.
Maybe pics will help but here are all of the mounting bolts for my rear bumper. Maybe he is missing the torx one on the bottom

20190415_100435.jpg

20190415_100621.jpg

Oops! I guess I forgot about the other two bottom bolts. (Why isn't there a smilie where I'm banging my head against the wall? It belongs right here.)

Now since those nuts have been knocked out of the way, maybe just some flag nuts with some extension flags added would help.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Now that I know what I need, sort of, I’m going to make them. I just have to figure out how big I can make the bases and have a buddy weld nuts on them. I’ll paint them with some kind of rust proofing paint and make sure I use anti seize.Maybe I’ll try to do a how to.

Reactions: FishinSam
Now that I know what I need, sort of, I’m going to make them. I just have to figure out how big I can make the bases and have a buddy weld nuts on them. I’ll paint them with some kind of rust proofing paint and make sure I use anti seize.Maybe I’ll try to do a how to.
Ever get around to that 'How to' ?
Took off my rotten old bumper and ALL the bolts to the weld nuts either stripped out or the weld nuts just spun, rusted to the bolts and popped the welds inside the frame. No surprise there as there is NO drainage in there.
How do I attach new ones? Is this a job for the welder only or will those flag nuts suffice?