Rear bumper install (cannot get the bolt started)

primetime4

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hoping for some recommendations on this. I am installing a Warn rear bumper. I previously had it on but removed it to add some frame tie ins and ran into a problem. I cannot for the life of me get one of the bolts that I just removed threaded back in. This nut appeared to be off the first install too but somehow I managed to get it on and tightened. No matter how hard I try, the bolt threads will not catch. I am thinking about drilling it out a bit so that the threads can get past the first mm or so and hopefully catch on a thread but would that make it worse? I also ordered a tap set but with existing threads, would that also make things worse?

Thank you.

A while back I installed an aftermarket bumper on the Muddog and was having the same problem. Using THEIR bolts, which threaded on fine on the ground, it just would not go. Needed longer bolts. Maybe with the tie ins yours just aren't catching.

A while back I installed an aftermarket bumper on the Muddog and was having the same problem. Using THEIR bolts, which threaded on fine on the ground, it just would not go. Needed longer bolts. Maybe with the tie ins yours just aren't catching.
I thought it could be that too but took the whole thing off and tried with no washers with the same result.

Any trick to tapping? Should I try to make sure I don’t cut a new set of threads?