Rear Cargo Basket Options

I have the American Adventure Lab
Product. It works well for extra gear for those overnight trips

20220406_112336.jpg

Not the best route I am sure - but I am having some custom aluminum work done for my LJ, while they are at it, I am having them build a custom basket. Hope it turns out OK, I am having them build a ladder into the frame on the passenger side. Not sure when they will be done, but hoping 2 more weeks...

I am running 33" tires - I think there will be room. Drives side would have less room due to the license plate.

I made my own, it is GREAT.. I can carry a lot of weight without any concern since I know what the material is.. and no anchor! I can go uphill without the concern of hitting something creating an anchor..

20220422_151537.jpg

20220422_151439.jpg

Reactions: L J
I made my own, it is GREAT.. I can carry a lot of weight without any concern since I know what the material is.. and no anchor! I can go uphill without the concern of hitting something creating an anchor..

View attachment 369843

View attachment 369844

Does it fold down so you can open the tailgate or do you have to remove it first? My hitch basket loaded affects my steering and makes it too light! I swerved just a bit at around 68mph to miss a kangaroo last week on a camping trip and almost didn't recover, scared the shit out of me! these things are deadly with weight on the tail.

Does anyone know of a mfg. of a rear over the spare tire cargo basket for Jeep TJs? Having a tough time finding a mfg of one..

Besttop make them, the brackets and basket are sold separate, not cheap and dont hold much weight as they are attached to the tailgate under the tyre carrier. You can buy just the brackets and fit a cheapo hitch carrier basket to it.
Just to add if you have a hard top the bottom corner of the glass hits the basket even with the tailgate open fully so you have to be careful, they are more suited to soft tops or fitted to swing out tyre carriers.

basket02.jpg

basket03.jpg

basket04.jpg

Last edited:
I cut up a roof rack and made mine, i have since got a bumper that carries the spare. Cooler directly behind the seats, camping gear bag behind it and all my tools, spare parts and recovery gear underneath and personal bags behind the seats. So much storage and room now!

299F3082-114B-457D-8287-ADBC83D7F11A.jpeg

Does it fold down so you can open the tailgate or do you have to remove it first? My hitch basket loaded affects my steering and makes it too light! I swerved just a bit at around 68mph to miss a kangaroo last week on a camping trip and almost didn't recover, scared the shit out of me! these things are deadly with weight on the tail.
I need to remove it to open my tailgate, otherwise the strenght in the cargo basket would be compromised, maybe a better designer and welder could do that but, I tried to make it as solid and cheap as I could.. I have carried 2 ice coolers totally full (one big one medium), two chairs, a small grill and have no issues with the weight handling on my jeep.. maybe it helps a bit that the center of gravity is not as high as the bestop ones...

this is an old picture of the "big" ice cooler I carried... (my rig was so short at that time xD)
1666897831533.png

Reactions: BeavisTJ
Just picked up a Bestop cargo basket on FB MP for $60. Going to mount it on the tailgate bracket I got for Christmas.

I was going to modify a hitch mounted cargo bracket I bought a few years ago for one of my JKs but the Bestop basket at $60 made sense. Plus the Bestop basket weighs only 13 pounds while the HF basket weighs more than twice that.

Reactions: Ocho
I am making a lot of changes and tweeks to my Jeep right now, so have not been posting pictures of stuff that is likely to be modified over the next couple weeks. But here is a picture of my rear cargo platform. The Pioneer Platform on the roof is going to be changed a bit. This one is currently 49x84 with 3" legs and 3/8" spacers. I have another home for it. The new one will be 56" wide, with 2" legs (no spacers). The rod holders and sissy bars (for shark fishing) will be moved over. It will also have KC Gravity Pro lights on it...
rear cargo rack.jpg

In a perfect world, I had planned on it being several inches shallower. For better or worse, the fab shop thought it would be more usefull at this width. They are probably right, as it is a good size for coolers and such. I don't really plan on running it with weight - it is primarily a ladder for me to get to the platform. But it is handy when loading and unloading the back. The picture is a bit skewed. The basket is about 6" deep - with the top of the basket at roof height.

Reactions: MikekiM