Rear carpet wet after rain

Palmy

It rained last night and today the carpet behind the seats (marked in red) was damp, no large puddles, but very damp.

I hosed the vehicle with the doors and hard top on and there was a minor leak on the top corner of the driver's door, but I couldn't see how it would make the floorpan behind the seats wet.

Could the leaks be originating from somewhere else, or is it definitely coming from the door seal?

198042-add3.jpg

Thats one of the lowest points in the jeep, especially if you're on any kinda nose up incline, I would expect water to pool there. Chances are it leaked in and pooled there, the rest of it has dried out. For me, I need to replace the tailgate to glass seal to fix a leak, after I drive though any water that has leaked in will pool in the rear seat floorboard, seems to be where it likes to collect.

Thats one of the lowest points in the jeep, especially if you're on any kinda nose up incline, I would expect water to pool there. Chances are it leaked in and pooled there, the rest of it has dried out. For me, I need to replace the tailgate to glass seal to fix a leak, after I drive though any water that has leaked in will pool in the rear seat floorboard, seems to be where it likes to collect.

I think you might be right. There was a bit of water under the carpet below the rear tailgate.
It's going to rain tonight, hopefully, I'll be able to pinpoint the source of the leak then.

Edit: Although I do note that the carpet underneath the rear seats was dry. I would have thought that would still be wet.

I think you might be right. There was a bit of water under the carpet below the rear tailgate.
It's going to rain tonight, hopefully, I'll be able to pinpoint the source of the leak then.

Edit: Although I do note that the carpet underneath the rear seats was dry. I would have thought that would still be wet.

you check the backside of the carpet? I find it often takes deceptively long to soak through

you check the backside of the carpet? I find it often takes deceptively long to soak through

Yup the backside was fine under the seats, it was just a bit wet under the backside behind the rear tailgate - top was dry though.

It is raining right now and interestingly I can't see any leaks. Maybe somebody didn't close the door properly?

IMG_0653.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0652.jpeg

It rained last night and today the carpet behind the seats (marked in red) was damp, no large puddles, but very damp.

I hosed the vehicle with the doors and hard top on and there was a minor leak on the top corner of the driver's door, but I couldn't see how it would make the floorpan behind the seats wet.

Could the leaks be originating from somewhere else, or is it definitely coming from the door seal?

View attachment 385264

My ‘97 TJ always got wet back there because I didn’t realize my mucket seals were missing when I first bought the Jeep…

Reactions: GaTechTJ
That place where you can see light on the hardtop glass is where mine is leaking, runs down the inside of the tailgate seal and then flows into the carpet. My cargo area carpet does very much get wet though.