Rear Corners and Rust

justinhustle

TJ Enthusiast
Is this a common issue on TJ's? I got a quote of around $1,500 to repair and fix.

I also saw some places selling oem style rear corner replacements, anyone have any experience buying these?

IMG_8149.JPG

that's a common issue. I had rust on the passenger side and when I started repairing it turned into a hole. Used rust repair kit I found at the local auto parts store, bondo and color matching spray paint from the dealer.

rust.jpg
rust 2.jpg
patched.jpg

Yeah, that is a well hidden spot. I normally power-wash the inside of that on both spot by lifting the rubber cladding underneath and stick the nozzle in to it.

Reactions: Chris
I noticed in the past where my 2001 would hold some water behind the rear license plate mount. I placed some space washers between the Jeep body and the license plate mount so the water would drain better.

that's a common issue. I had rust on the passenger side and when I started repairing it turned into a hole. Used rust repair kit I found at the local auto parts store, bondo and color matching spray paint from the dealer.

View attachment 55683 View attachment 55684 View attachment 55685
Don't get offended but sorry to comment about your fix, rusts might creep in and push the bondo out and pop your paint like a bubble.... you need to hang out with fellow TJ owners in your area, they will weld a sheet metal for you. Just bribe them with a 6 pack and a little camaraderie gesture like talking about trails or something.