Rear Dana 44 question

ejay

TJ Addict
Can I remove the OEM locker/gear from my 04 Rubicon to replace the inner bearings and shims without having to do anything special (calibrate) when I put it back in? I don't have a lot of experience with gearing so I'm just trying not to get in over my head.

Just need to replace the shims for the most part. Because...see below.

20240428_120506.jpg

20240428_124521.jpg

20240428_124527.jpg

Do you have a mag base and dial indicator? You should be able to replace the bearings. The shims are what they are. If you can measure backlash (with the dial indicator and mag base), you can ensure when the new bearings go in, you are close to the same value. If you don't have that...Ignorance is bliss?

Reactions: BlueC and Rickyd
Do you have a mag base and dial indicator? You should be able to replace the bearings. The shims are what they are. If you can measure backlash (with the dial indicator and mag base), you can ensure when the new bearings go in, you are close to the same value. If you don't have that...Ignorance is bliss?

I do not. I can get one. Would I need a beam style torque wrench too?

Any idea why the shims move in the first place?

Last edited:
As the bearings wear you end up with more play.

If you're in there I'd seriously consider replacing the carrier bearings and races, the pinion bearing and race, the pinion seal and the outter bearings, races and seals.

-Mac

As the bearings wear you end up with more play.

If you're in there I'd seriously consider replacing the carrier bearings and races, the pinion bearing and race, the pinion seal and the outter bearings, races and seals.

-Mac

I know, I know. I really don't want to mess with the pinion, though. Outer bearings and seals have already been done.

Reactions: macleanflood
Wear. As the bearings wear, the axle looses “tightness”. Honestly, I’d replace them (the bearings) and send it.

Yeah. I'll get the master rebuild kit and do it all. Just not looking forward to it. I always screw up some small detail. Lol less than 130k on the Jeep. Even less on the regear. Didn't think 33s would wear this fast.

I’d pull the carrier and knock out the slug, inspect the bearing and races and go from there. Be sure to keep the bearing caps and shims in the same orientation. I’ve broke a few 44 rear shafts and the bearings survived.

Reactions: ejay
I’d pull the carrier and knock out the slug, inspect the bearing and races and go from there. Be sure to keep the bearing caps and shims in the same orientation. I’ve broke a few 44 rear shafts and the bearings survived.

Gonna replace it all so...all new parts. Shims go round side out as I recall.

Gonna replace it all so...all new parts. Shims go round side out as I recall.

Just keep the shim stacks together left and right so you have a good place to start with the new bearings. Should be close.

Shims moving out if place like that isn't all that uncommon. When wear occurs, the preload lessens allowing the shims to do just that. In my opinion, all you need to do is replace the carrier bearings and ensure there is enough pre-load when you reinstall it. The factory shims may not have provided the proper pre-load needed (it happens). If it's loose when you reinstall it, then you know you need to add shims (equal to both sides if possible. Usually when they're loose like that you struggle to get even 5 thou in. Good luck.

Just keep the shim stacks together left and right so you have a good place to start with the new bearings. Should be close.

Yeah it's not fun. Getting all of the shims just right and then having to do it all over again when you get a funky gear pattern.

Shims moving out if place like that isn't all that uncommon. When wear occurs, the preload lessens allowing the shims to do just that. In my opinion, all you need to do is replace the carrier bearings and ensure there is enough pre-load when you reinstall it. The factory shims may not have provided the proper pre-load needed (it happens). If it's loose when you reinstall it, then you know you need to add shims (equal to both sides if possible. Usually when they're loose like that you struggle to get even 5 thou in. Good luck.

Thanks. They are off center but feel tight.

Thanks. They are off center but feel tight.

What I'm talking about, is can you pull the locker out by hand or not. If not, new bearings might be all you need to snug it up. If they are newer, then tap the shims back in place and check it again down the road sometime. I've had that happen to mine, jjvw's, and have seen it on others as well.