Am I supposed to have a rear defrost switch?

Alemonkey

I have a later hardtop (I think it's from an 04 or 05) on my 97 Jeep. I found a guy on ebay who makes wiring adapters so I bought one and the wiper & washer are working fine. The question is, my rear window has a defroster but there's no rear defrost switch on my dash. Is that a separate switch that I need to add? Or does it come on automatically with the front defrost (guessing not, since that's vacuum activated)?

Gotcha. So, since my Jeep already had the wiring harness for the hard top, in theory should there be an unused plug behind the dash that I will connect to the new switch?

Should be.

Let me know, I think that I have a spare. Somewhere...

Gotcha. So, since my Jeep already had the wiring harness for the hard top, in theory should there be an unused plug behind the dash that I will connect to the new switch?
Could be, my switch is one of the factory rockers next to the ash tray, I would look behind there.

Just a quick follow up, I found a used switch for cheap on deadjeep.com. Popped off the dash bezel and the switch housing for the rear wiper / rear defrost came out with 4 screws. The plug for the rear defrost switch was already in place, so I popped out the filler plate, snapped in the switch, and plugged it in. Didn't work. Did a little more research and found I was missing the rear defrost relay under the hood. Ordered one from Rock Auto and it showed up today. Plugged it in, and boom! I have a working rear defrost.

Reactions: Tomcat and Chris
Just a quick follow up, I found a used switch for cheap on deadjeep.com. Popped off the dash bezel and the switch housing for the rear wiper / rear defrost came out with 4 screws. The plug for the rear defrost switch was already in place, so I popped out the filler plate, snapped in the switch, and plugged it in. Didn't work. Did a little more research and found I was missing the rear defrost relay under the hood. Ordered one from Rock Auto and it showed up today. Plugged it in, and boom! I have a working rear defrost.

Awesome news, I'm happy to hear that. Thanks for the update (y)