Rear Diff Breather

LJ G

Looking for insight on why my rear diff breather hose would be a spittin oil out of it under load, (pullin our overland trailer)??
It’s all over our hitch, tongue and spare.

Where is the hose routed?
To the back under my hitch. I’ll attach a pic.

254702BF-7903-4A2D-95D5-705AE4A7C6F9.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: LJ4me and Zorba
To the back under my hitch. I’ll attach a pic.

View attachment 320197
That breather is not properly installed. It should not being down like that at all. It should be routed above the frame and up and along your fuel filler neck.

With it down like that there’s a good chance you’ve run a little low on fluid and could possible have some moisture in your diff.

It should end about the same height as your fuel cap. Make sure to leave enough slack so that it doesn’t pull free when your suspension droops and make sure it is always running up. Doesn’t have to be straight up just make sure it isn’t going down or have loops anywhere.

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
That breather is not properly installed. It should not being down like that at all. It should be routed above the frame and up and along your fuel filler neck.

With it down like that there’s a good chance you’ve run a little low on fluid and could possible have some moisture in your diff.

It should end about the same height as your fuel cap. Make sure to leave enough slack so that it doesn’t pull free when your suspension droops and make sure it is always running up. Doesn’t have to be straight up just make sure it isn’t going down or have loops anywhere.
Ok thanks!
It’s been down like that since I’ve had it (about 5-6 months), been to 3 shops and none said a word about it. I figured it shouldn’t be down like that, some wasn’t right. It really only leaked fluid out while pulling a trailer. I haven’t wheeled it at all yet and none in water but we’re down in Ocala national forest now. Drove 6 or so hours today.
I have some zip ties with me, I’ll get it up in the am.
Thanks

Ok thanks!
It’s been down like that since I’ve had it (about 5-6 months), been to 3 shops and none said a word about it. I figured it shouldn’t be down like that, some wasn’t right. It really only leaked fluid out while pulling a trailer. I haven’t wheeled it at all yet and none in water but we’re down in Ocala national forest now. Drove 6 or so hours today.
I have some zip ties with me, I’ll get it up in the am.
Thanks
Even if you haven’t driven through water there is still a chance you have moisture in your diff fluid. When they hang down or have a loop it can cause moisture to build up inside the tube. There’s a chance all of it came out the breather cap but it’s likely some of it ran back down into the diff, especially being 5-6 months.

Idk If you have a diff cover that lets you check the fluid without draining it but if it was mine I’d change the fluid when I got back home. It’s pretty low cost for peace of mind.

Reactions: Zorba
Even if you haven’t driven through water there is still a chance you have moisture in your diff fluid. When they hang down or have a loop it can cause moisture to build up inside the tube. There’s a chance all of it came out the breather cap but it’s likely some of it ran back down into the diff, especially being 5-6 months.

Idk If you have a diff cover that lets you check the fluid without draining it but if it was mine I’d change the fluid when I got back home. It’s pretty low cost for peace of mind.
No I don’t have one I can check. It’s stock and on my list to do.
Thanks

Reactions: imahnu