Rear Disc Brake Hose Interference

Kerndone

Supporting Member
It has been a while since I worked on my Jeep, and how easy it is to forget how the simplest of tasks can cause you an issue. Curious if anyone has had a problem with the rear brake hose not fitting the caliper.

I bought a pre-bent Crown replacement for a rear TJ axle with disc brakes, and the "block" at the end of the host won't fit the caliper. When I put the banjo bolt in, the brake hose end is hitting the caliper, and I cannot make it fit without grinding down the brake hose. It almost looks like the end was machined incorrectly. There is a radius on the brake hose, and it looks like the hole for the banjo bolt is off to the right, which is exactly why there is interference when trying to bolt this up.

My question, do I just get the angle grinder out and make this work? Or should I consider this defective and get another line? Or, do I put my big-kid pants on and just make my own line!

Thank you for the help!

BrakeHoseInterference1.jpg

BrakeHoseInterference2.jpg

for what its worth, I ran into the same issue. I chose the grinding route an now have a bit of difficulty with clearance of the slide bolts head and the rubber hose.

Thank you, it always makes me feel better when I am not the only one with the issue!

I was actually looking at the clearance there as well and it definitely seemed like a tight fit. Easiest solution is to just grind that down and get the Jeep back on 4 wheels. Thank goodness this is just a secondary vehicle.

Thank you, it always makes me feel better when I am not the only one with the issue!

I was actually looking at the clearance there as well and it definitely seemed like a tight fit. Easiest solution is to just grind that down and get the Jeep back on 4 wheels. Thank goodness this is just a secondary vehicle.

Ford 8.8 caliper flex hoses have a much smaller banjo on them. We use them a fair bit for rear disc conversions. Your issue likely isn't the hose, it is instead more likely the machining on the caliper. I'd grind that bit on the caliper out of the way.

Reactions: Kerndone
Ford 8.8 caliper flex hoses have a much smaller banjo on them. We use them a fair bit for rear disc conversions. Your issue likely isn't the hose, it is instead more likely the machining on the caliper. I'd grind that bit on the caliper out of the way.

Interesting, so the culprit is likely the re-man caliper and not the brake hose! I do think I am going the route of making my own line; is there a particular year/make/model for the 8.8 lines that work the better than others? I see the Currie kit that Stu Olsen used, way back in the day when he did his conversion!

Also, it makes so much sense that part of the hose is called the banjo, since it is the banjo bolt that connects the hose to the caliper! One of those things where the answer is right there all along, and you just don't connect the dots.

Interesting, so the culprit is likely the re-man caliper and not the brake hose! I do think I am going the route of making my own line; is there a particular year/make/model for the 8.8 lines that work the better than others?
2000ish
I see the Currie kit that Stu Olsen used, way back in the day when you did his conversion!
FIFY
Also, it makes so much sense that part of the hose is called the banjo, since it is the banjo bolt that connects the hose to the caliper! One of those things where the answer is right there all along, and you just don't connect the dots.
;)