Rear door bolt pattern

Schmidty

So my new to me 05 TJ has this “awesome” diamond plate on the rear door, held on by some very strong adhesive so removing the diamond plate would leave a pretty ugly residue. My plan is to paint and drill through the plate to attach my spare tire mount, I just need to know where the existing mounting holes are to drill.

Hopefully one of you guys can help me.
1CA06DB4-BCF7-44D3-AF8B-00ABF3E25C80.jpeg
BD2BD990-D671-42EA-8BD6-D7BCD8B2F34A.jpeg

So my new to me 05 TJ has this “awesome” diamond plate on the rear door, held on by some very strong adhesive so removing the diamond plate would leave a pretty ugly residue. My plan is to paint and drill through the plate to attach my spare tire mount, I just need to know where the existing mounting holes are to drill.

Hopefully one of you guys can help me.View attachment 191924View attachment 191925
I am really good at laying out holes and drilling to access other holes behind something and I'd never even try what you want. The problem is you have no good reference points to measure from. That and if you can't control the drill, it will go through the aluminum and grab the threaded holes for the tire carrier and likely ruin at least a few.

Pull the aluminum, measure and drill, put it back on to cover the ugly.

Wow! I doubt even if I measured to the closest 32nd of an inch you could locate them through that diamond plate. Do you have the tire mount with you already? You'd have better luck if you went by the outside dimensions of the bracket instead of the holes.
But if you do get real close to the stock location then you will end up trying to drill through the inside nuts and plate. In the end it may be better to get an aftermarket tire mount. Your spare tire bumpers would be off too with anything other than a stock sized spare. So if you run a fatter tire you'd be back to fiddling around with the bumpers.

I'd pull the diamond plate. Maybe a heat gun to help soften the adhesive and then transfer where you want the holes. Since you're putting the diamond plate back on, the adhesive residue isn't a major concern as long as it's nice and flat.
Drilling through the plate on jeep is trouble!

Thanks for the input everyone. There is a slight gap between the plate and the door so wasn’t too worried about ruining the threads. I know that there is a straight edge on the left edge of door and bottom edge of door so I figured it wouldn’t be too hard to get those measurements but I understand your guys’ concerns. Thank you.