Rear drum brakes with missing parts

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I picked up a rear drum brake Dana 44 last Summer. All of the brake parts had been removed, except for the backing plates. It's been a long, long time since I've done drum brakes. I know I can purchase drums, shoes, wheel brake cylinders, and a hardware kit. IIRC, there are some parts that need to transfer over, which I would not have. That said, what are those parts called and where would I be able to source them from?

Last edited:
The only think I can think of off the top of my head trat isn’t in the normal rebuild kit is going to be that equalizing bar.

Reactions: Irun
As cheap as a Dana 35 can be...might want to entertain buying a used one, strip off the drum brakes and sell it for what you bought it for.

Odds are pretty good that @mrblaine has a stash...that or they all go straight into the scrap bin.

-Mac

I picked up a rear drum brake Dana 44 last Summer. All of the brake parts had been removed, except for the backing plates. It's been a long, long time since I've done drum brakes. I know I can purchase drums, shoes, wheel brake cylinders, and a hardware kit. IIRC, there are some parts that need to transfer over, which I would not have. That said, what are those parts called and where would I be able to source them from?

Here are most of the parts you need. The shoes, drums, standard hardware kit, ( springs on left) and self adjuster kit or kits ( left and right) don’t know if they are separate by side. Adjusters are left and right specific. The parts not shown in this picture the lever and equalizer bar for the parking brake and the park brake cable. You will need to verify what size backing plate to get the right parts.
IMG_0628.png

Reactions: Irun
Here are most of the parts you need. The shoes, drums, standard hardware kit, ( springs on left) and self adjuster kit or kits ( left and right) don’t know if they are separate by side. Adjusters are left and right specific. The parts not shown in this picture the lever and equalizer bar for the parking brake and the park brake cable. You will need to verify what size backing plate to get the right parts.
View attachment 489369

The parking brake lever is a big deal breaker, they do not exist in the aftermarket and hard to find used. I gave away my last couple of sets years ago.