Rear drum to disc conversion?

Is it worth converting the rear drum brakes to disc?
If your rear drums are functioning as designed, converting them to disk won't improve your braking. It'll make them easier to work on but don't look for improvement in braking.

To improve braking, improve the front brakes which provide appropriate 75% of the braking.

Reactions: KCsTJ
If your rear drums are functioning as designed, converting them to disk won't improve your braking. It'll make them easier to work on but don't look for improvement in braking.

To improve braking, improve the front brakes which provide appropriate 75% of the braking.
For a daily driver i agree. Off road it will help a lot

Makes sense. I need to change the rear brakes, and just figured if there was an advantage to do a swap, now would be the time.

Off road it will help a lot
I noticed no offroad braking difference after converting my previous TJ from rear drum to disk. I was sorely disappointed in that lack of discernable difference in before and after braking. I did the conversion before I knew better.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Makes sense. I need to change the rear brakes, and just figured if there was an advantage to do a swap, now would be the time.
Unless you do any hill climing or spend time with the front tire off the ground its not worth the expense.

I noticed no offroad braking difference after converting my previous TJ from rear drum to disk. I was sorely disappointed in that lack of discernable difference in before and after braking. I did the conversion before I knew better.
The big difference i saw was on a yj rock crawling. Spent a lot of time with more weight on the rear axle. So it did do "better" at holding the weight (my opinion and we know what they say about them). Of course if you are adjusted correctly on the drums it should be the same. But i have never been able to keep them adjusted.
The only other advantage of the rear disk is the E-break holds better and doesn't need to be adjusted as often.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Disc brakes have several advantages over drums.
Self cleaning.
They brake better in water
Less brake fade
More simplistic
Easier to maintain