Rear end locked up

ladean2185

So last night on the way home from work my straps that bolt to the yoke on my rear end broke and let the driveshaft fall out. Well I drove it home in 4wd and it seemed to be fine. I took the yoke off today to get the bolts out and the rear end acts like it's locked up. Does the yoke being have anything to do with it acting like this. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok I got everything put back together today and it will roll like 10 feet or so then feels like it's trying to lock up. The replacement yoke still has alot of slack it seems like compared to the 1st one but I've got it tightened up. Should I keep tightening it to take some of the movement out?

Well good news, I got everything put back together and used the old yoke nut and it all went back together perfect. I've drove it 10 miles or so and had it up to 70mph with no problems.

How much did you torque the pinion nut to? If you didn’t look inside I would be concerned. Locking an xpaxle up on the highway can be dangerous
175lbs, I took the back cover off and drained the oil and it looks good

35s are known for failing carriers and spider gears. I'd inspect those carefully for cracks if you haven't already.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

I'm going to drive it to work today (12 mile round trip) then go back and check it

I was going to put a lift under it tax time but I'm wondering if I would be better off rebuilding the rear end so I know everything is perfect. What all would I need, my jeep has a limited slip from factory

Honestly before spending the money to rebuild a Dana 35 I'd replace it with a Dana 44 or a Ford 8.8 and rebuild that if it doesn't already have the right gears.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Honestly before spending the money to rebuild a Dana 35 I'd replace it with a Dana 44 or a Ford 8.8 and rebuild that if it doesn't already have the right gears.

I've thought about it but I can't justify it. My jeep is mainly a daily driver and the when I do take it out in the hills I've only had to use 4wd 1 time. 32s will be the biggest tire I put on it

A junk yard 8.8 can be had for reasonable money, you can pick one up with the right gears already in it and the artec swap kit is going to be cheaper than a rebuild on your old one. Just a thought.

A junk yard 8.8 can be had for reasonable money, you can pick one up with the right gears already in it and the artec swap kit is going to be cheaper than a rebuild on your old one. Just a thought.

Not a chance, unless he can weld and fabricate. With the offset he will need a sye and dc shaft. Will likely have to rebuild the brakes and get an emergency brake cable kit. And he will still have to inspect it for wear as well. The 8.8 isn't as simple and cheap as people make it out to be.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford