Rear end shifts as I get on and off the gas

Jim King

TJ Enthusiast
Hey, brand new member.
2006 LJ I bought new, pretty much stock. 70,000 miles. The rear end shifts left and right as I get on/off the gas or shift.
Is this the control arms/ bushings?

Maybe the bushing are worn. Could also be loose bolts.

How do you know it is the rear end shifting side to side rather than body roll?

Maybe the bushing are worn. Could also be loose bolts.

How do you know it is the rear end shifting side to side rather than body roll?
It shifts left and right, not a roll. I put on Rancho shocks and new springs a couple years ago, so I figure it's bushings.

It shifts left and right, not a roll. I put on Rancho shocks and new springs a couple years ago, so I figure it's bushings.
Have someone rock the Jeep side to side. Get underneath and feel each connection. That might get you a quick answer.

Thanks, I wanted to see if this happened to others. The front wheels wobble a little sometimes after hitting a pothole or railroad tracks, since the shocks and steering stabilizer are good maybe I'll change them as well.
Any thought on this or could it be the sway bar bushings too?

Hey, brand new member.
2006 LJ I bought new, pretty much stock. 70,000 miles. The rear end shifts left and right as I get on/off the gas or shift.
Is this the control arms/ bushings?
Most likely . You can rock it forward and back and see them move ..also created rear steer , and off , forklift type handling sensation where it over steers from the rear axle movement ...very pronounced on a short TJ.

I had that , and only had 20,500 miles , it was due to neglect and cheap components ..and possibly bushings that degraded by petroleum grease .

Go after it bud , you 'll be glad you did .

... there's also the track bar but that seems like a lot more work...
Ha that reminds me of the old joke of the guy searching for his keys outside when his friend asks offers to help. His friend asked where he thinks he might have lost them and he said 'over there under that tree'. When asked why he's not looking under the tree he replied because the light's better here. 🤣

Reactions: AndyG
Thanks, I wanted to see if this happened to others. The front wheels wobble a little sometimes after hitting a pothole or railroad tracks, since the shocks and steering stabilizer are good maybe I'll change them as well.
Any thought on this or could it be the sway bar bushings too?

The steering stabilizer’s job is to prevent large events from jerking the wheel out of your hand and lead to loss of control as well as decrease steering column vibrations during normal use. A wobble when hitting a pothole or tracks sounds like a bushing is bad, not steering stabilizer. But you’re already checking those, good luck!

Ha that reminds me of the old joke of the guy searching for his keys outside when his friend asks offers to help. His friend asked where he thinks he might have lost them and he said 'over there under that tree'. When asked why he's not looking under the tree he replied because the light's better here. 🤣
Love it . Absolutely . No sense in really fixing anything . Too much work . Plus , we all hate to be shown up.