Rear extended brake line

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
Finishing up the brake lines on my 8.8 swap and looking for feedback and lengths people are running for extended brake lines on the rear? 4" lift, adjustable upper and lower control arms so I pushed the axle back a little over stock. I'm talking about the line the comes from the hard line on the frame rail to the tee on the rear axle.

The distance from the chassis to the T on top of the axle where the left/right brake lines exit is fixed, there's no need for an extended length brake line like the front axle often requires. The rear brake line follows the control arm from the chassis to the axle and that distance does not change from stock to a tall suspension lift.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreverStevens
Would you all agree that there is even a little room to spare with the stock line? I might be running my brake lines on the backside of the truss tucked up under the overhang of the top plate for extra protection. So the tee would be sitting a couple inches further back. Unless one of you can talk me through a better way to route my lines?

I know this is an older thread but I'm confused on why the extended hoses are even offered for the rear. I see that the parts stores offer them for lifted suspension or standard. Since the hose goes from the caliper to a fixed spot on the axle I'm trying to figure out why they have the extended ones in stock. Seems that the extra length of hose would increase the chance of it getting pinched or caught on something. Am I missing something on this?

I know this is an older thread but I'm confused on why the extended hoses are even offered for the rear. I see that the parts stores offer them for lifted suspension or standard. Since the hose goes from the caliper to a fixed spot on the axle I'm trying to figure out why they have the extended ones in stock. Seems that the extra length of hose would increase the chance of it getting pinched or caught on something. Am I missing something on this?
They simply don't know WTF they're talking about when offering extended brake line hoses for the rear axle for lifted suspensions.

Thanks for the follow up Jerry. That's what I figured. It just threw me off that my local O'Reilly and Advance only stock the extended ones. That's why I searched here to see what the heck I was missing.