Rear main seal leak

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I was having an oil leak in my 2000 Sahara and found out it was the main seal between the transmission and the engine. I was told to fix this the motor or the transmission had to be removed to get to the seal. I was told that was a complicated and expensive fix and the easiest thing was just to keep checking the oil and add some when needed. The leak isn’t bad so I was just wondering if I should just keep an eye on the oil level and just keep driving it. Any answers would be appreciated.

Whoever told you the engine and transmission had to be removed to replace the rear main seal is an idiot, plain and simple.

The rear main seal can be done without removing the engine and the transmission. It's a 4-6 hour job at most, and it's not very complicated.

See the write-up on how to do it here: Rear Main Seal Replacement (4.0)

If the leak isn't bad, keep topping off the oil occasionally until you have the time to do it yourself, or the money to pay a shop to do it.

I was quoted $400 in Labor and that is high priced New York...I already had the parts...that don't add much in cost.

I will probably tackle it myself at some point but I don't need to add any oil in between changes so I may just leave it be.