Rear passenger taillight wiring colors

TJosh02

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought a rear license plate bracket and light from Metalcloak that goes on my MC rear tire carrier bumper. The wiring diagram to splice in the wiring to the rear passenger light is completely wrong, as in not even one color exists in that wiring. I found some diagrams online (only one that was likely close was a 97 Wrangler, mine is an '02 so probably the same). Just wanted to confirm the color codes and then I have to figure out what they really intended. Does anyone know which is which?

They said to locate the black, white/yellow, and white bronze. It was hard to tell for certain the colors until I strip back the covering to see non-aged wire coating but it looked like I had a purple, a black/yellow a brown(maybe brown/red) and another that I couldn't tell.

ok, so I got the 3rd brake light to work but not the license plate lamp. The 3rd brake light spliced into the White/Tan wire and the Black wire. I was pretty sure I understood the Black/Yellow wire to be the wire for the license plate lamp (together with the black) but that didn't work, so maybe I misunderstood that wiring diagram.

ok, so I got the 3rd brake light to work but not the license plate lamp. The 3rd brake light spliced into the White/Tan wire and the Black wire. I was pretty sure I understood the Black/Yellow wire to be the wire for the license plate lamp (together with the black) but that didn't work, so maybe I misunderstood that wiring diagram.
With the parking lights energized check the white/black wire going to the license plate light at connector 327 for power and check the tail light case ground for oxidation. If there is no voltage then check the incoming violet/black coming at connector 327 and the wiring at splice 311 where the wiring splits to connector 328 that feeds the right tail light.
You can find the electrical schematic for this wiring in the electrical section 8W-51-3 of the FSM.

Reactions: TJosh02