Rear seat safety (or lack thereof)

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
So has anybody wondered about just how safe the rear seats are? My friend got t-boned a few weeks ago and it rolled and totaled his tj but one interesting thing about it was that his rear seat came right out of the Jeep(he was the only one riding and is fine now) but is this something that’s common? And if so are there any ways to improve the seats safety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought my '03, the previous owner had removed the rear seat and the rear seatbelt latches. I bolted the latches back in after reinstalling the rear seat; this is where my 7 year old twins sit. I'm hoping that either your friends rear seat ejection was a fluke, or that the rear seat will stay in place if the rear seat belt(s) are latched.

Reactions: rasband
When I bought my '03, the previous owner had removed the rear seat and the rear seatbelt latches. I bolted the latches back in after reinstalling the rear seat; this is where my 7 year old twins sit. I'm hoping that either your friends rear seat ejection was a fluke, or that the rear seat will stay in place if the rear seat belt(s) are latched.

I agree with this sentiment, I have a 3.5yro and a 2mo, my car is the exception to normal usage but I have a low tolerance for flagrant insecurity like a seat “flying out”. It seems like if this was common a recall would have had to have been issued?

From what I’m seeing it seems my friend just doesn’t understand how to latch a seat in place.

The problem is there’s two strikers. One for when the seat is down and one for when the seat is folded forward. Easy to put the latch on the wrong striker when installing.

The problem is there’s two strikers. One for when the seat is down and one for when the seat is folded forward. Easy to put the latch on the wrong striker when installing.

I guess to make it safer just watch what you’re doing and don’t make a dumb mistake.

Reactions: Daryl

I thought this as I was pulling mine for some extra space during a move - good thing to keep in mind putting them back in.

We bought an '87 Camary brand new. Best rated new car in '87. In 1990 rear seat shoulder belts became standard, we bought a Honda Accord, one of the first in Canada with the rear seat shoulder belts.

If you have "family" read Consumers Reports. TJs are rated as one of the safest vehicles for "driver survivability". And it is built like a brick. The worst rated vehicle from the insurance industry for "driver survivability" is the Nissan 370Z.... go figure they are mostly single vehicle accidents.

I am not sure of the results if 2 passengers were buckled into that rear seat.... but if you have family, the TJ should not be your "prime" transport. There are so many "safer" choices. TJs are just what we love..... and much safer than a crotch rocket... with yer kid hanging on.

Last edited:
When installed correctly, the rear seat locking mechanism is held in place by a spring. On my jeep, it's easy to push down on the locking mechanism to remove the seat, but it's very secure when installed.

When installed correctly, the rear seat locking mechanism is held in place by a spring. On my jeep, it's easy to push down on the locking mechanism to remove the seat, but it's very secure when installed.

Correct.

I’m having flash backs of my mom saying she’d never own a Jeep due to roll-over exposure... now she sits in mine and wants one. I guess the take away for me is live while you can, protect your passengers as best you can, and have a hell of a time in transit.