Rear shock recommendations?

jamespwsullivan

MJ, TJ, XJ (R.I.P.)
Supporting Member
2005 TJ Unlimited. No lift.
Circumstances have turned my Jeep into a small truck. The rear seat is out and the space behind the seats is now often full of tool boxes and other remodeling tools. My springs are holding up pretty well since I don't routinely keep the rear end loaded for weeks at a time, but the rear shocks could use some help. One thought I had was to install some air shocks that I could "tune" depending on the load but I'm not finding any direct replacement part numbers. Obviously I am used to a Jeep ride (as opposed to a car ride) so I don't expect to feel like I'm driving a luxury car. What I am hoping to address is the amount of bounce I get when crossing intersections at speed (the whoops) or the bottoming out I can get when hitting the transition from downhill to level on a hill.
So, what are your recommendations? All input appreciated, and I do have some sense of humor.

I have used the airlift on my pathfinder and it works well to help support weight. I have not used it in a jeep. I think its a good place to start if you need to carry more weight. How much does your Jeep sag under the load?

How do your shocks handle the jeep when empty? They might just be wore out. My shock recommendation would be Bilstien 5100s. Because they are progressive valving, they are a little firmer right from the start of their motion, so they will handle the weight better. OME might work well too. I understand they are a firm shock. I have no experience with OME. I love my Bilstiens.