Rear Speaker Install

Mariposa Mike

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Just installed the rear speakers from Crutchfield but in removing the old pair I noticed they had been mounted with a sealant, I presume to help hold them in place due to them being mounted overhead. There are four screws to hold the speakers but I'm now wondering if it might be a good idea to remove the new ones and apply some black RV sealant to prevent strain on the screws. I read all the comments on replacing speakers and so far I'm very happy with the product but did not see anything about defying gravity when mounting the rears. Thoughts appreciated.

Don't do that. The screws are all you need.
Rubi speakers1.jpg

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I used the original speaker grills rather than the ones shown but will save those for future use. Only reason why was the original grill had a little more protective mesh. Thanks for the replies. Feel better about the strength now.

Reactions: pagrey
not aware of a sealant being used.

I personally added a bit of butyl sealant "rope" around the circumference of the speaker before inserting it into the housing.. more for sealing the box the speaker is installed into but I know its not sealed where the wire passed through. just a little bit of OCD though. not needed.