Rear Spring Perch Relocation: Upper vs Lower

gasiorv

I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless
Supporting Member
I have searched but I can't really find an answer to my specific question. I have found the question asked but it is generally never answered because the answers generally lean towards "how" to relocate the upper perch, but not giving a reason for moving the top vs the bottom.

The stock TJ has the rear upper spring perch leaning slightly forward in the forward part of the frame arch. The stock coil spring does have a slight bend from the factory. Is there a reason that the original Jeep Engineers positioned the perch in this manner (applying the force in a slightly leaning forward manner)? If the same wheelbase is maintained (or very close to it), should the load being applied to the frame not stay in the same direction? Thus, if we change the pinion angle should we change the angle of the bottom perch to keep the frame loading the same vs relocating the upper perch?

I am just asking out of curiosity. I am not debating the fact that the upper spring perch relocation is proven and seems like it would be much easier (trim off the stock, trim off the U, align the hole in the frame at the center of the arch to bump stop hole, weld in place). My questions are specifically was there a reason that the original upper perch was tilted and does relocating it horizontal change the loads applied to the frame? If the loading is changed, does it matter? X lbs of force applied at yy degrees compared to straight up doesn't seem like it would make that much different on flat ground, but on a hill climb it does seem like it would affect the overall load distribution on the frame/springs.

I generally see the response that the only benefit to spring perch relocation is to realign bump stop, but does realigning the bump stop by changing the load direction into the frame have any adverse or unknown effects? Possibly the effects could have positive results as well? Again, it is simple and proven and most likely what I will do when I do it, just asking from a "loads applied" both static and dynamic perspective, not an ease to do or is it effective.

I have searched but I can't really find an answer to my specific question. I have found the question asked but it is generally never answered because the answers generally lean towards "how" to relocate the upper perch, but not giving a reason for moving the top vs the bottom.

The stock TJ has the rear upper spring perch leaning slightly forward in the forward part of the frame arch. The stock coil spring does have a slight bend from the factory. Is there a reason that the original Jeep Engineers positioned the perch in this manner (applying the force in a slightly leaning forward manner)? If the same wheelbase is maintained (or very close to it), should the load being applied to the frame not stay in the same direction? Thus, if we change the pinion angle should we change the angle of the bottom perch to keep the frame loading the same vs relocating the upper perch?

I am just asking out of curiosity. I am not debating the fact that the upper spring perch relocation is proven and seems like it would be much easier (trim off the stock, trim off the U, align the hole in the frame at the center of the arch to bump stop hole, weld in place). My questions are specifically was there a reason that the original upper perch was tilted and does relocating it horizontal change the loads applied to the frame? If the loading is changed, does it matter? X lbs of force applied at yy degrees compared to straight up doesn't seem like it would make that much different on flat ground, but on a hill climb it does seem like it would affect the overall load distribution on the frame/springs.

I generally see the response that the only benefit to spring perch relocation is to realign bump stop, but does realigning the bump stop by changing the load direction into the frame have any adverse or unknown effects? Possibly the effects could have positive results as well? Again, it is simple and proven and most likely what I will do when I do it, just asking from a "loads applied" both static and dynamic perspective, not an ease to do or is it effective.
The stock spring set up is based on something that the aftermarket will never do so any reorientation of the lower perch would require the use of the stock spring with a spacer. That something is the stock rear springs are actually progressive rate, not progressive wound or dual wound, actual progressive rate. That is done by tapering the wire from fat to thin over the entire spring.

I understand the actual progressive rate by varying the wire diameter (vs linear rate or vs dual rate), but how does the tilted upper perch come into play with the progressive rate?

It is an additional level of progressiveness.
I will have to think about that one for a while. May have to have another cup of coffee and go stare at my stock TJ rear springs for a while to try and understand.

I will have to think about that one for a while. May have to have another cup of coffee and go stare at my stock TJ rear springs for a while to try and understand.
Play with a small compression spring. It takes less force to push down on one side of it than it does to push down on both evenly. When the axle moves upward, it compresses both sides more and more. I can't prove it but I suspect that was done to keep the headlights aimed more reasonably as the cargo area was loaded. They were trying to slow down how much the rear changed height from empty to fully loaded.

Reactions: gasiorv
Also, helps keep spring perches oriented better for when the axle compresses the spring, keeping it from wanting to pop out.

Also, helps keep spring perches oriented better for when the axle compresses the spring, keeping it from wanting to pop out.
That would be the case if they were directly over each other. If you take out the bump stop nubbin, it would slide the spring over to the edge of the cup to retain it with the perch slanted. If the perch were directly over it, that would not be the case.

Play with a small compression spring. It takes less force to push down on one side of it than it does to push down on both evenly. When the axle moves upward, it compresses both sides more and more. I can't prove it but I suspect that was done to keep the headlights aimed more reasonably as the cargo area was loaded. They were trying to slow down how much the rear changed height from empty to fully loaded.
So would a linear spring installed at the OEM location then also have some sort of progression until the axle rotated up enough to make the upper and lower perches parallel? Not wanting this or thinking it adds any value, just thinking out loud with my typing.