Rear Storage Box

Frogman94

I looked through all the DIY rear storage projects and the store bought ones and I thought I could come up with something better. I started building it in SolidWorks. I wanted to make use of as much space as possible so I made it the same height as the tailgate. I also want to make sure I could lower the top with it installed. You will see that the sides are lower. This is for the frame of the top to be able to lay down.

The next step is painting it with Monstaliner.

:) similar to yours, I was going to buy it last year and kept pics of the storage design.

box01.jpg

box02.jpg

box03.jpg

box04.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to have this built but dropped a bit as your design so hard top can go back on.
Would you share your design measurements and spec?
This will be my first mod, expensive as i cant fabricate and will have to have it made.

I prefer your better use of wheel arch space, the one I posted has much less usable space and for me the speaker space is not necessary and takes up too much cargo space which is so limited anyway.

I looked through all the DIY rear storage projects and the store bought ones and I thought I could come up with something better. I started building it in SolidWorks. I wanted to make use of as much space as possible so I made it the same height as the tailgate. I also want to make sure I could lower the top with it installed. You will see that the sides are lower. This is for the frame of the top to be able to lay down.

The next step is painting it with Monstaliner.
View attachment 198162View attachment 198166
If you wanna start selling them I’m sure some people would buy.

I don't have the skills like you guys and I didn't want to spend almost 700 bucks on the one I saw made from metal, so, hubby and I made this one. LOL It works. :D I put a small door in the back so I can still slide my uppers in the back if I have the rear windows in.

9AD2CCAB-66D4-444C-A73B-0DF7B8BA6967.jpeg
F2F4B6A9-0641-40D5-A5EA-5C946BDE02A8.jpeg
B5357330-32AA-490B-B24E-E6B2D0466DCE.jpeg

Eventually I want to figure a way to keep things on top of the wheel well and possibly put speakers under it behind the seats. It sure was nice to have the peace of mind that I could put stuff in the back and just lock the tail gate and it would still be there when I returned. :D

Reactions: J R and suicideking
The metal cost me $80 and I had the metal place make all the initial cuts. I only had to cut the corners for the bends. Luckily I have a metal brake at work that I can use. It took me a couple of hours to bend all the pieces. I was surprised how accurate I got with bending the sheet metal. I don't think I'm up for producing these for sale. I will send anyone who wants them the plans and they can do it themselves.