Rear storage / seat options

luk4mud

TJ Enthusiast
I want to remove the factory rear seat, and build a storage box. If I extend the box up to the rear seat footwell, I could then mount some solid marine seats or rear jump seats back there for the occasional passenger. The marine mfgrs also make quick disconnect plates.

Something like this and this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXXAQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053HQ8JC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My #1 concern is that approach sturdy enough? I have my doubts until I would order the stuff, but the plastic bracket would worry me.

Other ideas would Subaru Brat seats that can be built with a removal bracket. One other idea would be to use 3/4" plywood on the top, and re-use the OEM seat by remounting the rear seat brackets to the deck, and be able to remove the seat as needed.

Thoughts?

I would not use a plastic seat bracket. The forces in a collision are substantial - any seat needs to be solidly fastened to the tub.

A single, removable rear seat is not a new idea. Several guys in my jeep club used single seats in their CJ's so that a passenger could ride in the back with room along side for a cooler. I still have a folding passenger seat from an early Willys wagon that I will modify "when I get around to it" so that I can use it in place of the factory rear seat in my LJ

Willys wagon folding passenger seat:

1955-wagon-florence-al3.jpg

Here is an idea from another forum:

rpl50514xx.jpg

I would not use a plastic seat bracket. The forces in a collision are substantial - any seat needs to be solidly fastened to the tub.

A single, removable rear seat is not a new idea. Several guys in my jeep club used single seats in their CJ's so that a passenger could ride in the back with room along side for a cooler. I still have a folding passenger seat from an early Willys wagon that I will modify "when I get around to it" so that I can use it in place of the factory rear seat in my LJ

Willys wagon folding passenger seat:

View attachment 57775

Here is an idea from another forum:

View attachment 57776
Does that other forums show where you can get a duel rear seat?

Does that other forums show where you can get a duel rear seat?

It may have but I do not remember.

I found the photos I used in my post by googling "jeep single rear seat" and "willys wagon folding seat." That should lead to other jeep forum discussions and hopefully the source of the pictured seats.

Reactions: Boinked