Rear sway bar vs. rocks...

alittleoff

TJ Addict
image.jpeg
Today I rolled under the Jeep to check for any trail damage from yesterday's ride. Besides the usual rubbing of the rocks, I found this. I think it got pushed over towards the tire one too many times.

Actually I was thinking of using Acme HD shrink tube. But if that doesn't work I'll use the Currie Anti-Rock fix.

Did you feel any significant loss in tracking or driving stability? I just pulled my factory axle and put in an 8.8 that didn't come with a sway bar mounts. I'll know in a day or two about adverse effects but figured I'll ask anyways.

Did you feel any significant loss in tracking or driving stability? I just pulled my factory axle and put in an 8.8 that didn't come with a sway bar mounts. I'll know in a day or two about adverse effects but figured I'll ask anyways.
The TJ's coil spring suspension really demands that both its rear and front antiswaybars be present and connected. Coil springs are not stable in any direction.

Even though I'm running Currie's Antirock up front for rock crawling, I keep my rear antiswaybar installed and connected. The suspension just works better to keep the Jeep more stable and under control when on especially difficult trails. Removing or disconnecting the rear antiswaybar does not increase that axle's usable flex.

Reactions: Assforkr
The TJ's coil spring suspension really demands that both its rear and front antiswaybars be present and connected. Coil springs are not stable in any direction.

Even though I'm running Currie's Antirock up front for rock crawling, I keep my rear antiswaybar installed and connected. The suspension just works better to keep the Jeep more stable and under control when on especially difficult trails. Removing or disconnecting the rear antiswaybar does not increase that axle's usable flex.

Sigh. I guess I'll finish the set up and see about adverse effects. If it's noticeable I guess I can weld on the sway brackets while sitting at ride height.

Sigh. I guess I'll finish the set up and see about adverse effects. If it's noticeable I guess I can weld on the sway brackets while sitting at ride height.
It was very noticeable to myself as well as 3 Boy Scouts I was hauling back from the desert after one of my two rear antiswaybar links broke which completely disables the entire rear antiswaybar. After noticing it while driving, I was surprised to hear one of them comment he didn't like how the rear of the TJ was suddenly swaying more on the curving mountain roads we were taking home. I didn't delay fixing it, it was noticeable enough on my local mountain roads that I didn't like it. It'd be no big deal on an older Jeep that has leaf springs but it's a much bigger deal when you have coil springs like our TJs do.

Dear Mr. Assforkr, (your screen name lol) TBH, I didn't even know that it was broke. When I aired up at the end of the trail, I did a quick look see to check if there were still nuts on my wheels and my trailer was still hooked up. I live up in the mountains too, so I expected it to lean a bit especially since I run a Anti-Rock front, set at its loosest hole. The next day I rolled underneath it to have a more closer look at things and saw it. Plus a leak just starting at my Atlas T/C rear output shaft. All in a days fun. J. E. E. P.
Oh and also, I'm getting a used rear sway bar from a friend tomorrow. It's from a TJ LWB... LJ to most of us.