Rear Tailgate and BedRug Question

Fouledplugs

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Anyone running the BedRug rear tailgate carpet?

My concern is that my hardtop is not vented but my tailgate is. Placing the BedRug carpet cutout over the inside tailgate will cause the vent to be blocked. This may cause some issues closing doors. Anyone got feedback?

CDB98B7A-1BE0-4A53-9BCB-49A8C0118E7A.jpeg
7EF6B94F-CD7F-4DEE-A8C1-95C65719B4BB.jpeg
EBAC6155-5CCD-4852-8109-A3BBF4E69775.jpeg
E96FAF6A-89D2-49D3-B93D-F60F46C727FA.jpeg

While I don’t have the vent or a hardtop, I cant see how it would cause any issues. It is only held on with a couple strips of velcro, not at all air tight.

D524567C-946A-4EAB-9367-5CB94969DD56.jpeg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Is there a “bed tred” and a bed rug ? If so, how do they differ ?

I put it over my vented tailgate and never had a single issue. @toximus has it now, so maybe he can chime in too.

My concern is that my hardtop is not vented but my tailgate is. Placing the BedRug carpet cutout over the inside tailgate will cause the vent to be blocked. This may cause some issues closing doors. Anyone got feedback?

View attachment 91428View attachment 91427View attachment 91430View attachment 91429
The back end of mine looks just like the last picture you posted. I have a non vented hardtop, the the little lockable trunk thing, and the Bedrug on the vented tailgate. Air passes through the vent same as it always did, it’s just “filtered” by the Bedrug now. If you turn your a/c on, and kick your fan speed up to high, close up both windows and doors, you can feel the air coming out of the tailgate vent on the outside.

Reactions: nk24

View attachment 91428View attachment 91427View attachment 91430View attachment 91429

Winner winner chicken dinner, you solved my problem. I have the bedrub in my LJ and the hard top has no vents and yes, closing the doors requires a good shove AND the back window pops out a little bit.
I actually keep my passenger window cracked to help with this. Maybe it's because I have the LJ, I don't know, but it's a pain in the butt. I have adjusted the rear window down as far as it will go and the tailgate seals against it but there is enough pressure to pop the window out a tick and allow water to come in.
I will be cutting a hole in the bedrug this weekend.

Winner winner chicken dinner, you solved my problem. I have the bedrub in my LJ and the hard top has no vents and yes, closing the doors requires a good shove AND the back window pops out a little bit.
I actually keep my passenger window cracked to help with this. Maybe it's because I have the LJ, I don't know, but it's a pain in the butt. I have adjusted the rear window down as far as it will go and the tailgate seals against it but there is enough pressure to pop the window out a tick and allow water to come in.
I will be cutting a hole in the bedrug this weekend.
I had the same issue with the window popping over the tailgate and was able to fix it with "vertical bulb trim seal". See this post:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hardtop-rear-glass-wont-stay-shut.15837/post-281029

Reactions: mgroeger
I had the same issue with the window popping over the tailgate and was able to fix it with "vertical bulb trim seal". See this post:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hardtop-rear-glass-wont-stay-shut.15837/post-281029

Brilliant, extremely grateful you posted this. I've tried different weather stripping and it didn't work so well. After lowering the window it helped but then I need to replace the hardtop seal and it lifted the top a little bit. I also added a thin layer of weather stripping over top of the entire window seal to make it all tighter and keep any leaks out.

Reactions: nk24
Is there a “bed tred” and a bed rug ? If so, how do they differ ?

rug = soft carpet surface, tred = textured rubber surface. I chose Bedtred over bedliner products for maintenance, comfort, sound and heat insulation. I used bedliner in previous Jeeps but wanted something more comfortable in the LJ.

The photo shows the tread pattern (and a water mark ,36" above the ground, from a trail/submarine ride two weeks ago). I pulled and washed out everything like you'd do with carpet

Reactions: mgroeger
I have had the bedrug in my lj for about 3 years. I run a hardtop in the winter and I have never had an issue with the doors closing

Thinking about it a little more, if it is an issue or question, I would take an awl and heat it up and poke some small holes in it. They would be almost unnoticeable and directly vent air as designed. I may do it mine just to know for sure how that air is passing through there.