Rear track bar bolt frozen

Hoboscratch

Supporting Member
First things first, working on a MN Jeep. So you know what I’m dealing with...

Working on installing my OME lift and I am struggling with the frame side bolt for the rear track bar. I got the axle side out already, no issues there. I cannot get the bolt to move in the bushing, it’s frozen. Happened to me with the front LCAs, just cut those out.

I was going to apply heat tomorrow but that will just destroy that bushing anyway, right? So I might as well just cut it out and get a new track bar I suppose...

One of those things I hadn’t planned for! But hey, I only broke 2 shock bolts (inner for both sides) so I should consider myself lucky I guess.

On a '04 LJ the bushing may be on the way out anyway.
You can try soaking with a lot of PB Blaster or Kroil and then apply the heat, but in the end... you will probably need to cut the bolt.

So got the nut off but the bolt is rusted in place?

Soak it in penetrating oil overnight, heat it a bit, and use a BFH on it. If I remember right you may have to remove the spring to get a good whack at it. Or drop the axle enough so you've got a gap in the spring lined up with the bolt, and get a good center punch in there.

It's weird, I'm in PA and had major trouble with the upper rear shock mounts, snapped all four after months of soaking them. But the track bar bolts were fine, and it appeared to be original that had never been removed. I mean they were somewhat rusted, but came out no problem. I replace the axle bolt because I hate torx bolts, but otherwise I've been able to reuse all the track bar and control arm hardware.

Reactions: Apparition
@WallyWest yeah it’s like the pics below. I soaked the shock mount bolts for a few days and hit em with heat, smacked em with a hammer, went back and forth and eventually figured they’d break anyway, so just went for it. I think I could have gotten the other 2 if I was more patient but have a plan based on yours and others experiences in other posts so said F it.

Anyway, ordered some bushings, just gonna cut the bolt and replace the bushings and keep the same track bar since I already have a relocation bracket on hand.
AB66DC42-81E0-4F64-BEFD-2D5C9B4D071B.jpeg1E0AD3CF-42BC-4351-AB59-0344CDB5A0D8.jpeg