Rear track bar bracket broke off

Arty off-road

So I was trail riding today and I had a part break that I didn’t quite frankly think could break. You’ll have to forgive my illiteracy since most of my repairs are learned how to do through YouTube and the Haynes repair manual; but I haven’t found this one. It’s on the drivers side rear by the tire, it has some sort of track bar, tie rod lookin deal that hooks into it and it is/ was welded to the rear axle. Obviously I’m trying to get my Jeep back on the trails, but I need to fix this first. Any ideas on what this part is, where I can get a new one or really any advice would be much appreciated!
31EB63A2-05DF-406B-955F-C24D9357BE2E.jpeg
31EB63A2-05DF-406B-955F-C24D9357BE2E.jpeg
2D1A6D2D-3634-4067-ABA4-66658A5A9143.jpeg
CFAA4182-7BA4-445E-9F1C-4F4F82D5304C.jpeg
235F9C0F-EC61-4311-ADC7-7B48E19124E9.jpeg
4FC6595F-0939-415D-AA86-F955ED2C8F5C.jpeg

0865FE60-3A74-426D-97EC-A220331B3C9C.jpeg

As stated above, fairly easy repair if you know someone or can weld it yourself. Am I the only one interested in seeing footage of how this may have happened? :unsure: I've never seen that break before! It's gotta be a good story!

Reactions: Squatch
I wouldn't bother replacing it, I'd just get it welded back together.

Anyone that thinks that is crazy (or that I'm crazy), feel free to post some proof.
They get repaired pretty often. No need to replace it. But, it will break again due to the extended mount and a crap trackbar. If one wants it to be more resistant to failure, it will need a brace on it over to the diff cover bolts.

That's your track bar mount. Not sure I've read on the forum of anyone actually breaking one of these, but there are a lot of folks on here that have all kinds of experience, and they'll surely have some sage advice for ya. Helluva first post! Great pics. Welcome to the zoo!
Thanks! And yeah I’ve never seen that either so
That's your track bar mount. Not sure I've read on the forum of anyone actually breaking one of these, but there are a lot of folks on here that have all kinds of experience, and they'll surely have some sage advice for ya. Helluva first post! Great pics. Welcome to the zoo!
Thanks! And yeah can’t say I’ve ever seen it either lol

As stated above, fairly easy repair if you know someone or can weld it yourself. Am I the only one interested in seeing footage of how this may have happened? :unsure: I've never seen that break before! It's gotta be a good story!
Honestly I couldn’t tell you how it happened, I can post a few videos of the trip but I was riding and then I heard a clanking that knew wasn’t the ball hitch in the back so I got out and started checking u-joints, tie rods, and control arms

They get repaired pretty often. No need to replace it. But, it will break again due to the extended mount and a crap trackbar. If one wants it to be more resistant to failure, it will need a brace on it over to the diff cover bolts.
Can’t say I understand what a brace over the diff cover bolts means but I definitely know what those words mean separately so I can do some looking, TM

So the highlights that lead to the break

It may have been cracked and slowly rusting for years. At some point just going for ice cream could break it. That's why a new owner should go over everything when they get their (new) TJ. Who knows what the last guy (or gal) was doing to it.

looks to me that inside weld was crap from jump......................it never got good penetration and it flexed until it broke the outside.

removing the crap weld and cleaning up the inside edge should allow reattachment. bevel off the break a little so you get good penetration and sufficient filler. a gusset off the tube up the outside will help with stress and reinforce that break.