Rear Tub Mount Squeaking Horribly

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
I have had a horrific squeak in the back end for quite some time. I've never been able to figure it out. A few days ago I had my TJ in the shop for a couple of other things and asked the owner if he could take a listen and see if he could figure it out. Here's what he wrote on the ticket: "Found rear tub mount was squeaking. Took bolts loose and lubricated between frame cross member and tub. Re-torqued bolts."

But now the squeaking has turned into popping and creaking that is just as obnoxious. What do I do next? Thanks.

He said it was metal on metal. Does that mean that there used to be some kind of rubber bushings that have disintegrated?
Could be but more also possible he has no clue what he is talking about. The tub portion of my body mount (where the bolt threads into) rusted away completely and is gone back there.

Here is a photo of the body mount. Two rubber halves with a metal sleeve in the middle. The tub should sit on top of the large round metal part and the crossmember should be sandwiched inbetween the two rubber halves.

C01C285B-07E1-472A-83B8-FBCE00486B90.jpeg

C2722456-350E-44C4-8F96-FDE41BEAE43E.jpeg

Are they the OE rubber mounts or did a previous clueless newbie replace them with stiff polyurethane mounts which can squeak like crazy?

Body mounts can make a lot of noise especially if they are worn out or loose. Or if the actual threaded section into the body is broken or rotted out. I had all kinds of noises when I had an old rusty tub before I swapped it. I put grease on all the surfaces that touch the body on mine more so to fight the rust from the salty roads. Squeaking body mounts are not unheard of. I would take a look at them and maybe consider replacing them if they are worn out.

Hmmmm. The squeak sure seems to be coming from the driver's side rear corner. Here's a couple of photos of that body mount.

IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg

I also have a trailer hitch and this is how it's attached:

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

I wonder if those layers of metal on metal could be squeaking.

I wonder if those layers of metal on metal could be squeaking.
Not if the bolts are tightened down to the proper torque.

The body mount looks like it is hardly tightened down at all. If you can find some pics online, usually the bottom rubber part is squished pretty good.

Reactions: WLDRIDE

The body mount looks like it is hardly tightened down at all. If you can find some pics online, usually the bottom rubber part is squished pretty good.
I just went out and checked that. I don't have an impact wrench, but I put a breaker bar on it and couldn't get it to tighten any more at all.

Well, silly me. It was a loose spare tire mount. But, thanks @Vtx531 for replying to this post. You inspired me to set aside a day and work on it until I figured it out.