Rear upper and lower control arms

When summer is gone the plan is to really clean and paint/replace things. Its stupid hot here today so I didn't do to much, but i started loosening the rear shock hardware and of course the two upper bolts snapped immediately. If it cools down ill drop the tank later to make things easier going forward.

I'm always curious what "stupid hot" is up north, ha. First time in my life, last August I told my wife I'd leave Texas for July and August next year (our last of three goes to college this fall) to Colorado. I struggle to work on anything with sweat in my eyes, and my safety glasses solid fog non stop, ha.

There are a bunch of guys that broke those bolts and nuts, I'd 100% search that on this forum. I'd pull that next fall and get after it as well.

I'm always curious what "stupid hot" is up north, ha. First time in my life, last August I told my wife I'd leave Texas for July and August next year (our last of three goes to college this fall) to Colorado. I struggle to work on anything with sweat in my eyes, and my safety glasses solid fog non stop, ha.

There are a bunch of guys that broke those bolts and nuts, I'd 100% search that on this forum. I'd pull that next fall and get after it as well.

Well for me hot is anything above 85 ... Spent some time in Alaska and was the best of my life. But its really about the humidity, it was 94 and swampy so I was dripping sweat just getting up off the creeper, doesn't help I feel older then I am. As for my rusty Jeep, just having a good time wrenching on it with my kids. It remains to be seen how far we actually take this one, I am already planning to find a cleaner one in the future.

Well for me hot is anything above 85 ... Spent some time in Alaska and was the best of my life. But its really about the humidity, it was 94 and swampy so I was dripping sweat just getting up off the creeper, doesn't help I feel older then I am. As for my rusty Jeep, just having a good time wrenching on it with my kids. It remains to be seen how far we actually take this one, I am already planning to find a cleaner one in the future.

Quote for truth. Problem when it gets hot up here is it almost is always accompanied by Humidity percentages that match the temp. I miss the AZ and Texas (El Paso area) Dry heat.

Reactions: DB04RedJeep
Quote for truth. Problem when it gets hot up here is it almost is always accompanied by Humidity percentages that match the temp. I miss the AZ and Texas (El Paso area) Dry heat.

HA!, I grew up in Houston, with AC on every window was covered with condensation every morning. Central TX is better, but Houston is the hottest, most humid place on the planet, ha. Literally living in a swamp.

• Haha
Reactions: wigsajumper
HA!, I grew up in Houston, with AC on every window was covered with condensation every morning. Central TX is better, but Houston is the hottest, most humid place on the planet, ha. Literally living in a swamp.

That is my nightmare, i would be miserable all the time outside.
1. You should not drive with any broken control arms. Broken bushings are one thing, but don't drive if the bolts are loose or broken, or if the arm itself is in two pieces.
2. You do not need to measure anything with stock control arms. Adjustables are another story.
3. You can replace one at a time, keeping the bolts on decently tight, then drop jeep on all 4 tires, loosen the bolts again and torque to spec.
4. If you cut the arms out its fine, just make sure you save a few "example bolts", bolts that did not get cut up too bad so you have a frame of reference. Just want to double check that your new hardware is the correct size, grade 10.9, flange or no flange, etc. etc.
5. I found that removing the gas tank made a huge difference when doing the rear suspension. It's just too much in the way of everything. You can even install the whole rear suspension then add gas tank at the end- it only makes a difference of about a quarter inch in ride height (won't affect track bar or sway bar link adjustments significantly).

When you get the rear shocks out, throw away the original upper shock bolts, they are 8.8 or something. Get zinc coated 10.9 replacements and use anti seize generously. then tighten back up with only 1/4 inch drive. You will never have problems again.

You're supposed to torque the control arms with the weight on the axle/at ride height so either all 4 tires on the ground or jack on the axle, no stands on frame. The rear lower control arms by the axle side will be difficult/impossible to get a torque wrench on, on the ground, depending on what wheels and tires you have. For those two bolts, I tightened on the ground as much as possible, then I raised up the rear axle on a jack and removed one tire at a time to get them torqued.

Thanks very much for all the answers, ill be draining and dropping the tank tonight.

Personally I'd be pulling that axle, cleaning up all the rust, painting the living shit out of it with something like POR15.

I'd probably preemptively replace the hard brake line and soft one too.

And replace every nut and bolt I touch.

-Mac

I also need to wait for the right moment for "Hey wife, you know what would look great in that corner/area... a Media Blaster !!!"

Should have taken an extra minute to think before I cut the rear sway link bolt lol... lucky there is enough to weld a nut onto tomorrow

IMG_2410.JPG

And if you need another reason to not be in Mass...
IMG_2411.JPG

Pretty sure it should ride a bit better after though

That is a crusty looking job. I usually look over the job that I am going to do and try and order new bolts and nuts. I know I am going to bust or cut at least one if not most of the bolts. Usually order stuff from Daveys Jeep. They usually have all the Jeep stuff.

Reactions: LittleGiant
That is a crusty looking job. I usually look over the job that I am going to do and try and order new bolts and nuts. I know I am going to bust or cut at least one if not most of the bolts. Usually order stuff from Daveys Jeep. They usually have all the Jeep stuff.

It sure is.. I did order all the hardware. All the shock bolts should be in today

Reactions: wigsajumper
Went out this morning to clean up tools and the rust rain off the floor and start working on the broken shock mount bolts... Seems we have sprung a leak captain.

I think my jeep is addicted to be being on jack stands
IMG_2414.JPG

• USA Proud
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper