Rear Upper Hardtop Seal

Bootheel Boy

TJ Enthusiast
My 2005 Tj is getting leaks between the hardtop and the rear glass. It also whistles when the AC fan is on high speed going down the road. I’ve adjusted the glass with no difference. Anybody know the exact name or part number I need to replace? It’s the seal attached to the hardtop that the rear window closes against. I highly doubt Mopar branded ones exist anymore so any recommendations as to name brands to buy or stay away from would be appreciated.

Reactions: chili_pepper
Some time ago, I replaced that seal on my 2000 hard top, but continued to experience rain leaks - until I was advised by a body man to use butyl tape (pookie) between the seal and the mounting ridge on the top. All leaks stopped. Maybe that's all you need to do.

A quality seal kit is critical. (my son-in-law installed a hard top without it - huge mistake) This one has worked well for me - from Fairchild Industries: D4012 – Sponge Seal Kit for a Jeep Wrangler - https://fairchildindustries.com/?s=D4012 - Amazon sells it for 32.99.

Zero leaks.

Kit comes with a hole punch - FWIW, IMO, you don't need it. Attach the self-adhesive seal to the hard top, lower it down — once in place, just feel underneath for the hole in the body — use an awl from the top and punch through the rubber seal. When you install the bolts, just push 'em through the hole. Boom.

Since the install, as the top has settled in (in the South Florida heat) I periodically check the bolts and finger tighten them a bit.

Funny thing: I need to crack my driver and passenger windows to compensate for the lack of air circulation. Every time the door closes, you can feel the vacuum. I'm sure if you're running a hard top without the factory vents, it's common.

Last edited:
Reactions: chili_pepper
I've got an LJ with a similar issue, did everything I could to adjust the glass. Replaced the seal (might be a different part for the LJ top) as well and it all did nothing to stop water from leaking.

Anybody know the exact name or part number I need to replace?

This is the seal I used, though it didn't solve the issue mine was pretty dry anyway.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/crown-automotive/liftgate-weatherstrip-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj

but continued to experience rain leaks - until I was advised by a body man to use butyl tape (pookie) between the seal and the mounting ridge on the top. All leaks stopped.

Quite possibly the simplest solution.

Last edited:
Zero leaks.

I think he's having issues in this area...

leak.jpg