Rear-view mirror compass and temp display are out

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
When my LJ suddenly started draining the battery (it was a short where the radio used to be), the local mechanic just started unplugging everything (even the lamp under the hood ). I’m not complaining—together we figured it out.

But since then the compass and temp display in the rear-view mirror have been out. Can anyone advise on how to trace it from mirror to wherever it ends up?

The compass is built into the mirror so that means no power to the mirror. The temp sensor is behind the grille and in front of the rad, but again, it's probably a loss of power.

There is a connector on the back of the mirror, make sure that is plugged in fully.

That wire goes to another connector under the defrost vent at front center top of the dash. You can pop the cover out using a panel removal tool by prying it on each end. Check that is properly connected.

That connector goes into splices in the body wiring harness and if there is a problem there I think you would see other problems. I.e. do your reverse lights come on in reverse?

Andy

Reactions: LJDC and Camdenst
Excellent. I’ll try that. The reverse lights are fine.