Rear view mirror vibrating over 60 mph

RubiconMan

The rear view mirror is smooth until I reach 60 mph and it gets worse the faster I go, everything is blurred after 60 mph.

I just had the tires rotated and balanced at Discount Tire and I just noticed that the driver side axle is leaking. Could this be the cause of the rear view mirror becoming blurred.

I also attached a photo of the passenger rear axle and the inside of the tire rim.

Could the rear axle bearing cause the issue with the rear view mirror?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Last edited:
The >60 mph vibration is likely caused by an imperfect tire balance. I once had to take my TJ into Discount Tire three times in one day before they decided to spend enough time balancing my tires to get them balanced perfectly. They were good only after the 3rd balance job.

Reactions: TJJeep4Sale
The >60 mph vibration is likely caused by an imperfect tire balance. I once had to take my TJ into Discount Tire three times in one day before they decided to spend enough time balancing my tires to get them balanced perfectly. They were good only after the 3rd balance job.

Thanks Jerry, what about the leaking rear axle seal? Would a bad axle bearing cause vibrations over 60/

Thanks Jerry, what about the leaking rear axle seal? Would a bad axle bearing cause vibrations over 60/
Probably not. A leaking axle seal doesn't normally cause the bearing to go bad either, it just leaks past the bearing. Unless the leak was never addressed and the axle ran out of gear lube to leak.

A bad seal might not cause a bad bearing, but a bad bearing can definitely lead to a bad seal.
Lift axle and check for play at the tire.

Since it's on the driver side, try watching the edge of the tire while driving.
Look for a slight shimmy vs. smooth and straight.

Last edited:
What is the frequency of the vibration? With 35 inch tires, 60 mph is about 10 revolutions per second, so 10 Hz. Higher frequency than that? Probably a drive shaft.

Check that the screw attaching the mirror to the mounting tab is tight.

That mounting tab could also be loose and need to be reglued.