Rear window weatherstriping

Since we’re on the topic. What keeps the plastic trim on the bottom of the glass from coming off?
The top a just picked up seems to be pressure fit. But otherwise can be easily removed and put back on.
Most are glued, lots of choices. I actually used a double sided tape made for glass and trim.

i recently replaced all the weatherstripping in the rear of my tj, the glass to top, the glass to tailgate, and tailgate to tub. i can see daylight in both lower corners of the tailgate/tub, and rain pours in through the top of the glass at the hard top and runs down the inside face of the glass. it also seems like my glass is set too high because the tailgate almost sits under the strip its supposed to close against, sealing and securing the glass (which will pop out at the lower corners after i open and close the doors.

is there any adjustment for the glass? i loosened both hinges and tried, but it appears that there is no room to move of shift the glass in any direction.

i find it hard to believe brand new weatherstripping is bad, but holy hell does the water pour in worse than ever.

any ideas on any fixes anyone has come across? i hate to add gasker/sealing material that wasn't there originally so i'm open to any suggestions anyone might have. thanks in advance for any info!

i recently replaced all the weatherstripping in the rear of my tj, the glass to top, the glass to tailgate, and tailgate to tub. i can see daylight in both lower corners of the tailgate/tub, and rain pours in through the top of the glass at the hard top and runs down the inside face of the glass. it also seems like my glass is set too high because the tailgate almost sits under the strip its supposed to close against, sealing and securing the glass (which will pop out at the lower corners after i open and close the doors.

is there any adjustment for the glass? i loosened both hinges and tried, but it appears that there is no room to move of shift the glass in any direction.

i find it hard to believe brand new weatherstripping is bad, but holy hell does the water pour in worse than ever.

any ideas on any fixes anyone has come across? i hate to add gasker/sealing material that wasn't there originally so i'm open to any suggestions anyone might have. thanks in advance for any info!

I loosened both the hinge bolts that go through the glass and pulled the window down as hard as I could and held it there while I tightened the bolts back up. It was a PITA and required some arm flexing but it got me over an 1/8" lower which helped a lot. The reason you need to hold it there is that it will want to slide back up because of the struts that hold the glass open. You are fighting them to pull the glass down. I also added the rubber strip (see link below) to the top of the tailgate and that helped A LOT with snugging things up. Ultimately in the corners where everything meets up I added some of that grey weather strip you can buy at Home Depot. It grey foam from Thermo King I think and it's sticky on one side. It comes in varying thicknesses and it worked great and filling in the tiny holes left. Plus you can actually hit it with some spray paint and turn it black.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RXHYVS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

yeah, i had removed the struts when loosening the hinge bolts and had someone push down on the hinge from above while i tightened, i was able to get it slightly lower but not much. i just can't understand why the old weatherstrip barely leaked, while the new weatherstrip...doesn't even touch the glass, i mean barely. i'd need to almost pull the strip off the little leg it slides onto in order for the glass to compress it once closed. makes me think i installed the glass back wrong or proud of the top somehow, which seems impossible.

i didn't add the bulb like you show (popular mod i know) but added this instead, which tightened things up. the difference in closing the tailgate with and without it is significant, even though it doesn't seem like much

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGFMZJF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

i bought some black stick-on bulb type foam that i'll fill the lower corners with where the tailgate meets the tub.

thanks for the reply. i'll post pics and results from all this to help others in the future

yeah, i had removed the struts when loosening the hinge bolts and had someone push down on the hinge from above while i tightened, i was able to get it slightly lower but not much. i just can't understand why the old weatherstrip barely leaked, while the new weatherstrip...doesn't even touch the glass, i mean barely. i'd need to almost pull the strip off the little leg it slides onto in order for the glass to compress it once closed. makes me think i installed the glass back wrong or proud of the top somehow, which seems impossible.

i didn't add the bulb like you show (popular mod i know) but added this instead, which tightened things up. the difference in closing the tailgate with and without it is significant, even though it doesn't seem like much

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGFMZJF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

i bought some black stick-on bulb type foam that i'll fill the lower corners with where the tailgate meets the tub.

thanks for the reply. i'll post pics and results from all this to help others in the future

What gasket did you put around the hard top to seal against the window? I got mine from quadratec.

OPR upper tailgate seal, purchased from extreme terrain.

looks well made and the length was right, seems to fit correctly, proper molded ends, etc. but when pressed onto the "flange" of the hardtop and fully seated, the seal appears to be too shallow and is not compressed by the glass to any degree where it is creating a seal, i can slide a piece of paper between the seal and the glass with almost zero resistance. (and see a gap/daylight where they meet)

creating any more pressure with the tailgate to push the glass in would create way too much tension on the glass than is necessary (and wouldn't provide any extra push-in at the top of the glass). i understand things flex and move and twist, i mean, it's a jeep. i ordered an oem glass-to-top seal, so i'm hoping that will solve this problem without the need to add any extra weatherstripping, at least at the glass.

Last edited:
from what i see quadratec sells fairchild and crown, the one i purchased was opr. hard to believe that the seals would be different or made wrong, but i'm sure it happens. i bit the bullet and ordered an oem seal. we'll see what happens

thanks for looking and for the link. actually i just ordered that same weatherstripping literally a minute ago, as i checked on the order for the oem and i saw no movement. still waiting on rugged ridge to ship the step bars i ordered the 1st week of october too.

frank, i replaced that seal already, i don't have too much of a problem with that....at the moment but thanks for the link.
Did you end up using the oem seal? and if so did it fix it? im having the same issue with my seal from extreme terrain and id love to know if i need to order from mopar or the allstate4wd.