Rearview camera install problem on 02 TJ

mguthr1

I have gone through some of the threads on the rear camera install, and even tried to tap into the purple/black power wire for the reverse light. Unfortunately, I am only getting 5v at the wire (i need 12v).....I double checked the meter and checked directly at the battery (12.4v). What suggestions do you have for this?

Thanks

I have gone through some of the threads on the rear camera install, and even tried to tap into the purple/black power wire for the reverse light. Unfortunately, I am only getting 5v at the wire (i need 12v).....I double checked the meter and checked directly at the battery (12.4v). What suggestions do you have for this?

Thanks

I would trace that wire back to the harness connector and see if the pins are oxidized/loose or there is a bad ground somewhere in the proximity of the harness connector.

Your camera should have a trigger wire , that needs to come off the black and purple , and the power wire for the camera needs to come off the fuse block in a switchable location , I used my sub woofer circuit as it is not used . Don't tap on to just any fuse ..it won't like it . Trust me.

Your camera should have a trigger wire , that needs to come off the black and purple , and the power wire for the camera needs to come off the fuse block in a switchable location , I used my sub woofer circuit as it is not used . Don't tap on to just any fuse ..it won't like it . Trust me.

Totally agree. That is why I tried to tap into the black/purple wire. Unfortunately, the camera needs 12v...not 5v. The lights work fine, no issue at all. I am at a loss. Could the relay be bad? I still have stock taillights with the incandescent bulbs... when you change to LED there is a new flasher relay needed.

What are the odds that the 2002 is only 5v supplied to the tail lights????

where would this harness be located? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I believe the harness runs along the inside of the cargo area over the wheel wells.
According to the FSM the back up lights are fed from fuse 7 (10A) in the fuse block behind the glove compartment. The wire out of the fuse block is Violet/White; the wire goes thru harness connector C107 and C104 pin 10 into the Back Up Lamp switch pin 1 then out of the switch pin 2 (manual transmission) or pin 6 (automatic transmission) where the wire turns Violet/Black and goes thru C104 pin 9 and C107 pin 88 where it splits to the back up lamp receptacles.
The Back Up lamp switch is screwed into the transmission.
You should clean the pin connectors for the Back Up lamp switch and the grounds at the Back Up lamp receptacles. After you have cleaned these; recheck the voltage at the back up lamps.

Totally agree. That is why I tried to tap into the black/purple wire. Unfortunately, the camera needs 12v...not 5v. The lights work fine, no issue at all. I am at a loss. Could the relay be bad? I still have stock taillights with the incandescent bulbs... when you change to LED there is a new flasher relay needed.

What are the odds that the 2002 is only 5v supplied to the tail lights????
Slap a volt meter on it ..has someone converted it to led and put in some low voltage resistors/relays?