Receiver hitch suggestions

The safety chains won’t be long enough to reach the shackles.
An integrated bumper hitch is better than the ground clearance robbing pos UHaul sells.
On that note, Uhaul sucks. Buy a 4x8 or similar enclosed trailer new, use it, sell it for zero loss or a profit after the move.

This is rated to tow 5000#
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATNH1LY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And....where are the pics?
Pics of my TJ?? I can upload them to this forum if you want but your right the rear bumper I bought isn't tow rated but from my research, me towing 1800 lbs on a small trailer(weight of the trailer and my shit combined) is totally do-able and has been done often with this rear bumper. In terms of the safety chains idk, that might be something I FITFO when I get there haha

Against popular opinion here. Smitty is the onLY aftermarket bumper with integrated hitch that I found. That HAS a certified tow rating.
FWIW, i’ve dolly towed a Honda CRV with no issues, and towed a 6x12 single axle enclosed with about 1500# of motorcycles/tools/cabinetry.
Yep, Im planning on towing no more than 1800 lbs(weight of the trailer and my shit), and since the rear bumper attaches to the frame directly I'm not too worried I just wanted a second opinion just in case.

I can confirm that uhaul will not rent a trailer if you have a soft top.
The pictured bumper is rated only for recovery according to Extreme Terrain. That would explain why there are no provisions for safety chains. A small 4x8 uhaul trailer weighs 850lbs empty. In stock form a TJ is rated to tow 2000lbs. You will need to subtract the weight of anything you have added to your Jeep from this number. A heavy bumper will just lower your load capabilities. I would personally just get a frame mounted hitch and install it. If you can turn a wrench the right way you will not have any difficulty. They can easily be found on FB marketplace or at a local junkyard if you want to save some $. Car-part.com is pretty good for checking inventories. I have personally thrown away 2 because I couldn't even give them away.
So the total weight of the trailer and my shit is no more than 1800 pounds. Since the rear bumper I ordered attaches directly to the frame I don't forsee any major problems(correct me if I'm wrong). thank you for the tip ill check car-part.com out!

Against popular opinion here. Smitty is the onLY aftermarket bumper with integrated hitch that I found. That HAS a certified tow rating.
FWIW, i’ve dolly towed a Honda CRV with no issues, and towed a 6x12 single axle enclosed with about 1500# of motorcycles/tools/cabinetry.
Yep, only one I found. Looks great and I've had no issues with it besides the normal tire carrier rattle.
Do yourself a favor and drop the gas tank to install it.
Uhaul did a dangerous install on my wife's Kia and were assholes about it when I called em on it. They'll never get my business again.
Second buying a used or cheap trailer if it's not going to see frequent use. Harbor freight sells a serviceable small trailer.

Last edited:
Honestly I can't imagine towing a trailer any long distance with my TJ. Granted, I only have a 2.5L, but it has the same rated tow capacity as the 4.0L. TJs aren't really built for on-road comfort (especially not compared to any modern vehicle). Hell, I don't even like driving mine more than a few hours on the highway, it's just exhausting. I'll spend hours driving around back roads, but I would much rather the comforts of my daily driver for any long distance.

If you don't think it's going to bother you, I would probably just have U-Haul install a hitch. From what I understand, most bumpers aren't really supposed to be used as tow points, so I don't see why it would make a good place for a hitch.

It's a bit pricier, but RockHard 4x4 has a tow rated rear bumper for the TJ https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-ac.htm

Reactions: 06lj
The safety chains won’t be long enough to reach the shackles.
An integrated bumper hitch is better than the ground clearance robbing pos UHaul sells.
On that note, Uhaul sucks. Buy a 4x8 or similar enclosed trailer new, use it, sell it for zero loss or a profit after the move.

This is rated to tow 5000#
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATNH1LY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And....where are the pics?

Do you think this bumper will be safe to use as a recovery point?